Question: For the experienced mastering engineers

LeeRosario

Hey guys, I might have already answered this question before i ask it, but here we go. I like different opinions on this type of thing.

So when it comes down to mastering stuff that I do in house, I'm taking my two tracks and running it back out through the channel strips on the same console (channels 1 and 2) just as standard monitor playback. Now by question is:

Even if all the channel strips are calibrated with everything bypassed (eq, dynamics), are we looking at an "unpure" signal, meaning that I'm running it back through the channel strip and back out of the summing buss? Or does that not matter? I figure it depends on the console, which in this case is an SSL 900aws. I figure it's clean, but maybe not clean enough for "true" mastering playback.

And if it's not couture for mastering, then how would you recommend setting up the patchbay to bypass as much of the console as possible? The console is really only acting as playback at that point.

What's the rest of the chain?

We're looking at Digidesign I/O192 -> SSL Channel strip 1/2 -> to stereo monitor out -> to monitors. That's the default playback setup.

The patchbay is setup as standard as it comes and does allow a stereo mix insert patch point, the mix out patch point, and the multitrack out (out of the 192) patch points.

I would imagine that there is a patch point that you could access directly on the monitor section of the console, so that you didn't have to pass through the additional channels and bussing. See if there is a digital input for "2 track".

Are you accessing the channel strips through their analog input?

The least conversion and the shortest signal path that you use, the better.

Even if all the channel strips are calibrated with everything bypassed (eq, dynamics), are we looking at an "unpure" signal, meaning that I'm running it back through the channel strip and back out of the summing buss? Or does that not matter? I figure it depends on the console, which in this case is an SSL 900aws. I figure it's clean, but maybe not clean enough for "true" mastering playback.
There is no such thing as a "pure" signal. Period.

The only question is whether what you're listening to allows you to do your job without undue bias. I'd venture that you got nothing to worry about as long as you can translate your monitors okay. Lots of folks with a lot less than what you have to work with get along just fine.

BTW, welcome back; haven't seen you here in a while :).

G.

I would imagine that there is a patch point that you could access directly on the monitor section of the console, so that you didn't have to pass through the additional channels and bussing. See if there is a digital input for "2 track".

Are you accessing the channel strips through their analog input?

The least conversion and the shortest signal path that you use, the better.

That's what I figured. The shortest distance from MTR to the speakers.

I've been trying to bypass as much of the board as possible, but still keeping the volume control features, which are directly tied to the boards master output. Just want to make sure what i'm hearing is what I'm getting! When I get back in there, i'll be testing that out!

Glen, thanks buddy! It's been a while since i've been able to post! Tons of work lately!

I'm not familiar with the patch points of this particular board, but if the purpose is to get as much of the electronics out of the way as possible, running the output of the PT D/A directly into the return from the insert on the main stereo bus is likely the best spot. Of course this makes the rest of the board fairly useless, turning the entire board essentially into a single volume control.

If you need additional functionality like comparing source signal to mastered signal, if there is an insert post EQ/Filters (or bus inserts) that would be my next choice.

Lee,

I am no expert but I will take a crack at this. I took a look at your gear list and I see you are using a massive passive and an Api 5500. You also have some nice outboard comps. Are you using the console for anything other than volume control? I am assuming you are using this luscious gear for mastering.

In my setup, which is similar to yours, I built a "monitor control" box, which consisted of a single space rack, which I built into it a passive stepped attentuator, a mono switch, and individual mutes for Left and Right speakers. On the back is simply L and R input and L and R output. Total parts cost might have been $250 max, I can't remember exactly.

This device sits between my patchbay and my monitors, and I simply patch in whatever I am monitoring...be it the console, tape playback, CD player, or whatever. it's completely transparent.

This might work for you. others noted that you could also use 2 track returns on your SSL - I have never used one and can't tell you if it is transparent or not....but you could try a trusty old A/B test and burn it and listen in the car. :D

Back