Pro Tools - peak level in dBFS

sonore

Hello,

Do you guys know how to:

1.) set the level of recording so it's not exceeding - 25 dBFS
2.) and so its peak level is not more than - 0,5 dBFS

Where do I look, what meter and what tool do I use for this.

Thank you,

The meters on the tracks can be right clicked to choose whatever scale is needed. The interface sets the recording input level-the track "sliders" only set the volume to whatever output is chosen by the track. The meter has options for peak reading-a little yellow dot on most settings. Assign input and output to a track, click on the tracks "R" or "I" button, play instrument and adjust the input level at your interface until you get and average reading of about -18 dbfs. Don't worry too much about the peak reading, as long as the red bit at the top isn't constantly lit you wont overload PT.

Sounds like he's looking for something for broadcast. You'll need something that measures RMS levels, find out what standard they're looking at (there are several I hate to say, but they usually make it clear somewhere). The peak part is easy and absolute.

"Not exceeding -25dB(FS)RMS" sounds like Comcast or NBC...

Sounds like he's looking for something for broadcast. You'll need something that measures RMS levels, find out what standard they're looking at (there are several I hate to say, but they usually make it clear somewhere). The peak part is easy and absolute.

"Not exceeding -25dB(FS)RMS" sounds like Comcast or NBC...

Based on the comma used for the decimal I'm guessing it's a European broadcaster. It would be helpful to get more precise information. Is it supposed to be -25dB RMS or LUFS or some other standard?

Based on the comma used for the decimal I'm guessing it's a European broadcaster. It would be helpful to get more precise information. Is it supposed to be -25dB RMS or LUFS or some other standard?

A comma instead of a full stop (period to you) is EU speak? News to me. I might on the odd occasion hit the wrong button but (unlike the OP!) usually get it right. 98.2% of the time say?!!

Hey,

I made a mistake... It's supossed to be - 0.5 dB FS, and the - 25 dB FS value is RMS.

There is this "maxim" limiter in PT 12, seems like a good tool for this. Can't I just use ceiling to control the -0.5 dBfs peak level value and threshold to place the mix on - 25 dB FS RMS ?

thanks,

Hey,

I made a mistake... It's supossed to be - 0.5 dB FS, and the - 25 dB FS value is RMS.

There is this "maxim" limiter in PT 12, seems like a good tool for this. Can't I just use ceiling to control the -0.5 dBfs peak level value and threshold to place the mix on - 25 dB FS RMS ?

thanks,

I don't know that plugin so I can't say for sure, but it should be pretty close to that simple. Worst case is you have to use a separate tool for measuring RMS and make a couple of trial passes to get it right. I use Vegas Pro which can generate a loudness log as a text file. But I use the Youlean LUFS meter because it's more convenient. You can get Pro Tools compatible loudness meters for not too much if you look for deals.

Be aware that there are two standards for RMS measurement depending on whether they use a 0dBFS peak sine wave or a 0dBFS peak square wave as the reference. There's a 3dB difference in the value returned between those two.

No problem - I think that's what we assumed (well, I did...).

Not sure what you have lying around meter-wise, but same thing stands. Assuming you have something that will give you RMS readings, you're good. You probably won't even need a limiter unless the material is extremely dynamic. You don't want to put the threshold down unless you're trying to *limit* it to -25dBRMS. Which I can almost guarantee you won't want to do. Almost.

Back