Ozone 8 mastering assistant

easlern

Boredom artist
I got ozone 8 on discount recently and it has a mastering AI that’ll listen to your track and suggest settings. And holy crap the AI is embarrassingly better than I am at getting a decent master. It makes some weird decisions sometimes but it’s brilliant at taming mud, which is the hardest thing for me to manage. Wonder if anyone’s played with this at all.

There’s also a neutron plugin that does something similar with mixes, which I have not even tried yet, partly because I’m afraid to hear a computer get a better mix in two minutes than I could manage in two hours. :P

I have Version 7 which is probably slightly different. To my ears it tends to want to make everything overly bright on some program material, but I haven't used it a lot..though I think it's at least good for giving ideas if I'm having brain fog on a track that I cant get to sit right. I was thinkin of upgrading to 8 just to have some of the inter-track abilities that 7 doesn't have.

I have several Iztope products. I also bought 8 on sale. I tried mastering my songs by myself. Oz8 gives me the ability to get my songs all about the same. I do tweak then to my ear. I will admit I know very little about the features of the plugins but as I use them more I learn.

I’ll put up a before/after example in case someone’s interested. It’s pretty dramatic.

I recently upgraded from Ozone 5 to 8, included with one of their Suite products. I've pretty much replaced the EQ in my templates with Neutron 2 because I really like the Masking feature, and i'll use the Dynamic EQ in Ozone on the mix/stereo bus, but I still like Logic's compressors because I'm used to them.

I use Ozone 8's limiter and dithering, and sometimes the exciter (not in that order) if I'm doing pseudo-mastering.

I think their videos are pretty good, though very tilted at their products, of course.

I love RX. Jeez, what a tool. Wish I could justify the Pro or whatever "best" version is, but the standard that was included is so slick for cleaning up live track noises, and most with negligible impact/artifacts. Not saying you can fix anything, and the standard is missing a couple that I hit often enough - that odd cell phone bzork or paper rustling, supposedly that have specific tools for those... $$$

Back