Offering free mixing and mastering on your sessions

ScottRamsay

Hi I am currently offering free mixing and mastering for your sessions. A bit about me - I am a sound engineer student from Glasgow, Scotland and record/mix artists songs on a daily basis. I have got the skills with Pro Tools and passionate about making tracks sound great. I am offering these for free as I would love to build up my show-reel of work.

My website can be found here - Multi-track Mixing & Mastering | Scott Ramsay

I have a few examples up on that page already...If you are interested then please let me know either using my email: contact@revolvingarts.com or via the forum thread below.

Cheers,

Scott

No offense, but there is some really inconsistent results on your website. I would fix that ASAP. Mastering is obviously not your major as of yet.

Keep learning though. :)

I do not mean to come across as an ass, I am just being honest.

No offense, but there is some really inconsistent results on your website. I would fix that ASAP. Mastering is obviously not your major as of yet.

Keep learning though. :)

I do not mean to come across as an ass, I am just being honest.

Yeah I'm working on my site as I type this, thanks for pointing it out. I have had 3-4 years experience with mastering tracks...it may not be my major but I have to start somewhere. Thanks for the feedback though!

Yeah I'm working on my site as I type this, thanks for pointing it out. I have had 3-4 years experience with mastering tracks...it may not be my major but I have to start somewhere. Thanks for the feedback though!

Like I said Scott, I meant no offense. It seems thew first track was really low in volume. Probably an upload issue. If I were promoting myself as a mixing/mastering engineer, I would not have that kind of discrepancy on my webpage.

Godspeed man! :)

It's a long road of learning this thing we're all trying to do. :cool:

Last edited:
I agree with jimmy, ummm also please not trying to criticize but the first track on your website vocals or ok but seem to be missing something just cant put my finger on it pitch or too much reverb in some area's I dont know. Mastering really can not be on a low quality inexp master can ruin a mix. No master can really be done on a mixing setup (near field monitors ext.). But like you said gotta start some where the services are free.

It's a long road of learning this thing we're all trying to do. :cool:

It is a long road to getting good at mixing or mastering. Two different things actually. Even though completely related, they are best done by two different sets of ears.

Again, I hope to not come across as arrogant, but there is much to learn before anyone can consider themselves a worthy engineer or ME. I am still learning everyday.

Again, best of luck to you Scott, and feel free to ask advice from the many members here that have years of experience.

It is a long road to getting good at mixing or mastering. Two different things actually. Even though completely related, they are best done by two different sets of ears.

Again, I hope to not come across as arrogant, but there is much to learn before anyone can consider themselves a worthy engineer or ME. I am still learning everyday.

Again, best of luck to you Scott, and feel free to ask advice from the many members here that have years of experience.

Thanks for the feedback guys, i'd rather people were straight up about things than just lie...we get nowhere with that! Yeah that first track was just an acoustic cover I didn't realise I used that track first. I'm basically offering these services to try get my foot in the door and get some tracks on my reel (Hence few tracks on my site) I'm also doing another graded unit this year at college, so I'm finding ways to try expand my portfolio. Cheers!

Nothing wrong with that I am 8 years in the biz and I am still learning everyday I will be forever a student to the audio eng world I enjoy learning with no ceiling.

A little update on my first mix/master for a client.

EDIT: Just realised they were the same tracks...my fault sorry! Fixed now.

Here is the song I was sent originally -

Here is the track after I mixed/mastered it (I also added in some of my own guitar, drums, organ and backing vocals to thicken the mix) -

Any feedback?

I also wrote an article on the track on my site here -
http://revolvingarts.com/mixing-mastering-band-el-lado-cansado/

Last edited:
I was going to comment before too, but I'm not sure if I trust my ears.

I'll go out on a limb and say I can't hear a difference between the 2...but I'm half-deaf so take that for what it's worth.

That first track is pretty loud for an "un-mastered" mix.

Yep my thoughts exactly...umm low end seems, eeehhh a little low, umm...(wish I had a better vocab). But yes RAMI explained it perfectly. Im still waiting for spectrogram in brail so who cares what I think :confused:

.umm low end seems, eeehhh a little low, umm...(wish I had a better vocab).

Yeah, the low end is a whole other can of worms. :eek:

I have a feeling the OP up-loaded the same file twice by mistake.

I was going to comment before too, but I'm not sure if I trust my ears.

I'll go out on a limb and say I can't hear a difference between the 2...but I'm half-deaf so take that for what it's worth.

Yeah the first track is just the raw session files the second track is the one I mixed and stuff.

Yeah the first track is just the raw session files the second track is the one I mixed and stuff.

Both tracks sound the same the vocals for instance sound a tad bit dry in the first one and dry on the second. when you mix "and stuff" you instantly hear the separation with a mixed version verses dry from the vocals (specially when the are this loud). Might wanna check and see if you didnt load the same file. (Unless you did what I call a dry mix with just level and panning, which seems pointless if your trying to show your work )

Last edited:
OK hang on here. Are we talking about mixing or mastering? Either way, both tracks sound exactly the same to me. That's some wonky low end we have going there.

OK hang on here. Are we talking about mixing or mastering? Either way, both tracks sound exactly the same to me. That's some wonky low end we have going there.

He stated mixing "and stuff" so I dont have no clue what "stuff" is (sorry not hip to the new audio engineering terms these days excuse my ignorance) But like you said either way mixing, or mastering, or and "stuff" none of the three seem to be applied at all to the 2nd track they sound the EXACT same. I mean look at the wav form of both files they are identical, I mean my wav forms in my mix are WAYYY different then my waves forms when I master, jus me tho. But maybe my monitors aren't calibrated right I could be wrong. Try posting the dry recording no effects FIRST, THEN post the mix, THEN the mastered track Scott so we can listen to all 3 aspects of your engineering and its progression it would be more clear to us.

Back