normalization 360

...Spantini do you use the DP03SD to do the kind of thing I described over on the Tascam Users Forum thread?(i.e.making the stereo master track then cloning it back to 2 tracks in the multitrack mode to continue building up the mix?)

Naww. I had just been mixing to stereo then mastering (which, again, does include an automatic "normalizing" step as part of it's mastering procedure).

I switched to Reaper before I got to experiment too much with the DP-03SD - it's collecting dust right now.

The point is, moving to the mastered loudness target would cause peaks be at 0dB or above, so I cannot just apply gain.
Well then you need to do something other than normalize. ;) SoundForge and some other tools have optional compression/limiting built into the RMS normalize process, but that is actually different and really should be a separate step.

i don't believe anyone "masters" using peak normalization, because that could leave the loudness of your tracks all over the place.
It's perfectly possibly to set your desired dynamic range without much worrying about the actual absolute numbers and then just normalize afterwards. I can't speak to how many people actually do it, but if you want it at -14 LUFS with peaks at 0, you could mix/compress/limit so that it has -22 LUFS and peaks at -8 and the peak normalize to 0 OR loudness normalize to -14 and get the same result. In a floating point DAW, you could also mix to loudness 0 and peaks at +14, then normalize for the same result again.

My whole point being that normalize is and should be a separate process from dynamic control. Get the DR you want first, then worry about the absolute numbers and everything should just fall into place.

Back