My Mastering Internship

katz, see if you can do some alternate masters. Its like it takes all of the knowlege that you have aquired, and puts everything into place. I never really knew how much I had learned while working at a local studio until i actually got to work with some well recorded tracks. ASK QUESTIONS!!!

notbradsohner said:
katz, see if you can do some alternate masters. Its like it takes all of the knowlege that you have aquired, and puts everything into place. I never really knew how much I had learned while working at a local studio until i actually got to work with some well recorded tracks. ASK QUESTIONS!!!

Yeah, one of the good things about doing this internship during the summer is that it was supposed to be not as busy, so the guy would have a lot of time to sit down and just go slowly through things with me. But as it turns out we're extremely busy. When someone calls and cancels he's ecstatic, if that tells you anything. So consequently I haven't gotten to do much of that type of stuff. A few times he's had me go through the record we're going to master before he does it and just make e.q. notes for him...like stuff I think needs to happen. Then he tells me how accurate my notes were.

Yesterday was pretty interesting. We were mastering a record for some nuns. It was sort of an acapella chanting type thing. Not too bad actually. I got to play around with the Avalon eq a little bit...and all I can say is WOW. That thing is amazing. Very subtle, does exactly what you tell it to, no phase distortion, and it sounds incredible. The record was a group of 8 nuns singing (or chanting) and they all sort of stayed in the same range, so there was this big lower-midrange buildup that was a challenge to deal with. This guy usually adds 1db at 25k on the Avalon to most of the stuff he does, and it definitely opens it up, but on this thing just that 1db made a huge difference. The mix felt tilted before, unbalanced, and that seemed to help put it back in balance and open it up. The way he dealt with the big midrange buildup was to use 3 different lower-midrange cuts (2 on the Avalon, 1 on the M5000) with different Q factors, so they were overlapping a little bit and just scooping out some of the buildup. Even using 3 cuts it was pretty subtle since that frequency range was the meat of what they were doing. I got to meet one of the Mothers too!

Hey...killer thread!This is a lot more interesting than reading about some pissed off guy scrubbing toilets :D (I followed the link you posted over at gearslutz).Definately keep it coming and thanx for sharing :cool:

EleKtriKaz said:
Yes. I am working at Sonorous. Do you know Dave?
I don't think we've met, but I've heard good things about his place over the years...

He ever go to the AES conventions?

I'm not sure if he does or not. I'll have to ask him about that. If I had to guess, I would say he probably doesn't.

n8tron said:
nice thread,

out of curiosity, what type of reveals does he use?

You know, I didn't realize how many different types of reveals there are until I check around online. I'm not sure actually. They're red, and the just say Tannoy Reveals on them. I orginally thought they were active, but now I'm thinking they may actually be one of the passive versions because they don't say "Active" on them, like I've seen some in pictures. For little things they really don't sound too bad. You can actually hear the low end, which is what suprised me the most.

Yeah I have a pair of those, they're passive. Don't work for me on the low end though - they translate bottom heavy with my ears.

EDIT: Re-read your post, yeah you CAN hear the bottom end....a fair bit. But I always have to notch the bass down after I find the right setting to get the things to translate.

I actually had to go to Florida for the summer, so I stopped, but I'm back in AZ now so I'm hoping to hook back up with him. I'll definitely let you guys know if I do.

Appreciate the interest.

EleKtriKaz said:
I actually had to go to Florida for the summer, so I stopped, but I'm back in AZ now so I'm hoping to hook back up with him. I'll definitely let you guys know if I do.

Appreciate the interest.

I just saw that someone gave me an anonymous negative rep point for this post. Why?

There are a lot of "red chicklet bombers" showing up lately...

I'm probably opening myself up for another right now. Got a couple today already.

Whoopie. :eek:

Thanks for shooting me up one...the same person left me another, unsigned negative point on 11/10. Weird.

I'd rather someone say, "You're an idiot" out in the open than just randomly give me negative rep.

BTW...I tried to give you some Massive, but it told me I should spread it around a little bit first. Guess I'm not slutty enough with my rep points.

Yeah - I'm not exactly sure of the "rules of engagment" when it comes to rep points... I tried to give someone who made ana awful lot of sense multiple reps but it wouldn't let me. I guess you have to hit a bunch of others first...

Massive Master said:
Yeah - I'm not exactly sure of the "rules of engagment" when it comes to rep points... I tried to give someone who made ana awful lot of sense multiple reps but it wouldn't let me. I guess you have to hit a bunch of others first...

it's a vain attempt to keep people from abusing the system by creating a false account, and hitting themselves a million times.

like i said, vain attempt.

Back