Mastering With A Limiter...

No, your definitely right T.

I've just developed a slight phobia for stems, but there are plenty of good reasons to do them sometimes as you've mentioned. Especially important are stereo or mono lead vocal stems.

I was just saying the mono vocal as an example, but if there's stereo effects they should be printed in stereo.

I got one of these last week as well that originally was just going to be 3 stereo stems, but this is what the client sent - All stereo

One of the most elaborate stem sessions I received was:
Kick
snare
toms
room
overheads
bass
lead guitar
rhythm guitar
keyboards
misc

Stems can tend to get into another mind set than mastering, There are definitely some benefits to stems, but sometimes I do look at it as mixtering.

One thing...even though FL is one of the cheaper recording options out there dont think it isnt as powerful as the bigger companies offerings for basic projects..its just as capable of producing professional results and its audio engine will be much the same

Bingo. I've got back into FL recently, and added some plugins to my suite. I'd like to do an album with it - tracking, mixing - the whole banana. FL has survived, and just like the other players that have survived, it's got serious capabilities these days.

Thing is, when you do stuff in FL, it always turns out different. It's a different tool. It's like the difference between Asian food and European food. It all tastes good, but it's different. FL's all beats and samples and piano roll. That changes outcomes. I love it.

I havent used it myself but my "other" DAW is ableton...I got a Lite version with an Axiom and just had to get the full version...its like an instrument on its own and Id imagine FL is as well to an extent..

The different with these and the more traditional sequencers its they stir your creative juices...it doesnt all have to come from your head first then recorded..I can jam with Live and even remix on the go before actually knowing anything about what the songs going to be...

That's what I like about FL. It's dead easy. I really don't need to be sitting around scratching my head over which button to press in a DAW, when I have a song in my head. I need to get straight to it.

Dr. V

My advice is to just forget about mastering for at least a little while. You'll gain far more from just moving to your next mix. Maybe one day when you feel you've "mastered" mixing, then move onto mastering. For me, that day will probably never come. lol.

Back