Mastering with Izotope 4

I just got this program and it is pretty good but I really do not know how to use it. Need help

Read the manual.

Okay, just kidding, but seriously, read the manual.

Ozone is a VST plug in, so you need a host to run it with. I use it with Wavelab Essential. Most others might run it in their DAW. Ozone is nice in that it gives you a bunch of tools to work with, but it's also lame because it gives you a bunch of tools to work with. You have to really consider if you need to use everything given. It's an easy trap to fall into to use everything when you don't really need to. Only your mix and your songs as an album can dictate what processing modules, if any, are needed.

Also, Ozone comes with presets which isn't the best idea. No one who sits behind a desk writing code for software is going to be able to tell you what adjustments your collection of songs will need when you are mstering. So having preset can easily send you down the wrong road and cause damage to your mixes and album.

You'll hear a lot of criticism for Ozone, but I like it because the tools are intuitive, sound good and are conveniently packaged together.

Just experiment with it to learn how to use it. Only use the modules that you need. You ahve to use your ears and nothing else.

I just got this program and it is pretty good but I really do not know how to use it. Need help

you need to read up on EQing, Reverb, Dynamics, Compression, Stereo imaging and limiting...

Ozone is not really a plug in, its a suite of plugins than can be used altogether or on their own...

Id seriously forget the presets altogether...I watched some interesting tutorials from SWA (Steam works audio*) on Ozone before I understood that other than the excellent limiter I had better tools at my disposal already

btw I just noticed they are selling their video tutorial download for only $4.99..defintely worth a punt

*Streamworks Audio

I have read the manual but it is basic....it doesn't go in depth about how to use the eq and compression...it is just full of presets.

I have read the manual but it is basic....it doesn't go in depth about how to use the eq and compression...it is just full of presets.

thats why I said invest in the tutorial...the EQ actually does much more than youd think for its interface, the compressor looks like itll be a bit of work...I kinda like multibands for sound sculpting but for finalising the mix I plain stereo one is all i normally want

It's the second thread you post a link to your music in. You'll get more people to listen if you post in the MP3 Clinic.

My tip for using Ozone 4 is that there are much better digital EQ's for high frequency boosts.
I find the top end (above 8kHz or so) in the Ozone 4 plug in unusable personally. I find it's character
is hard and scratchy to the point where even many standard DAW Eq's would be preferable.

cheers

I have worked with Ozone 4 plenty, and it will yield fine results. Review the "mastering with Ozone" guide, it's very detailed and helpful. More importantly, like any software or piece of gear, get to know it well. Learn what it is capable of and what it isn't. Then you can get it to take you where your ears lead you.

Well I cannot agree there John, like any tool it will not work for every job at hand, good judgement is required
for any given toolset. I think it gets the butt end of a lot of comment because it can do so much. Not that this means
that it should be used just because it can, of course opinions will differ. I have 4 limiters to choose from and Ozone 4's limiter will end up on 30-40pct
of the work simply because it does what I wish to achieve. (and the other limiters are good in other ways)

Though I do think the EQ top end is pretty dire.

cheers

Back