Quote Originally Posted by Massive Master View Post
Backstory first in case anyone doesn't get it -- MFiT / iTunes Plus is an *additional* release made from 24-bit files that have been QC'd using various Apple tools. The engineer creates AAC files using the same algorithm as Apple then those files are checked for intersample clipping, again using - well, in this case, software that's actually built-in to OSX.

The idea was to create [high-resolution / high dynamic range] versions and make them available to listeners as an alternative to the typical crush. And of course, don't think we didn't notice that Apple would then have probably the largest repository of non-dithered, non-crushed, high-res recordings anywhere which they can then distribute as they see fit (we're all still waiting for Apple FLAC versions for instance).

Many of us were rather excited about the prospect at least at first -- I've been doing (what I've always called "Vinyl Versions" for lack of a better term) for years. That is, typically, the audio "as captured" at the end of the analog chain before any further dynamic processing (the final squash). The audio where it "wants to be" as far as dynamics are concerned before it's absolutely wrecked --- I mean --- "Brought up to commercially acceptable apparent volume levels."

I've always called it the "vinyl version" because, as I typically work in a vinyl-friendly manner anyway (call me just a bit old fashioned), it's usually ready for the cutting engineer at that point. And with only a little bit of additional work (that I'd bet 97% of people would never even notice audibly), BOOM - MFiT version.

Still works like that with many independent artists and more "audiophile minded" folks. But most of the label stuff (at least most of the ones I deal with) have lost the concept. They want the exact same source for MFiT. I've literally done death metal in MFiT that's exactly the same, save maybe 1/2 or 3/4dB quieter to avoid ISP's. Why even bother? I have no idea.

+100

d'oH!

My motto when we master is we make it better not louder

never bought into the loudness war nonsense