Mastering: The DIY Guide

I imagine this will draw some attention ;)

Nice to see Studio One being used...I was really impressed with its mastering abilities, workflow especially..Im not at that level yet but soon will be and have considered that software with a interface upgrade..

The mix project is linked to the mastering project in S1, both can be accessed at the same time and any changes in the mix are updated straight to the mastering project, so tweak away :)

I think when its comes to limiting and the "loudness" wars Ozone 4s excellent limiter has been superseded by Steven Slates FXG...also using T-Racks in its suite form seems to be where the un-informed will destroy there work at the flick of a preset...i think using them as individual units, which they can be used, provide a better understanding of what they are capable of.

I watched some very good tutorials from SWA on Ozone 4...taught me some rudimentaries of how Id approach mastering several tracks together, which I hope to attempt shortly. Though gather as much information as possible before putting your hard work through another set of processes imho...

Personally, I made it to the third paragraph. So far, so good. Then I came across this statement:
There’s no doubt that the key to mastering is the correct use of compression and this is usually where us home users come unstuck.
:rolleyes: I knew not to read any further. Sorry.

Actually, just a small re-write of the sentence would put things right. May I suggest:

"There's no doubt where us home users come unstuck is our belief that the key to mastering is the correct use of compression."

G.

How hard can it be?

Simply find the quietest place in the song and note how far down the signal is (in dB). Plug that number into the threshold of your limiter - and you're done.

If you see any dips in the waveform after that, zoom in, find the low spot and repeat.

When the waveform looks like one solid block of color, you have achieved a perfect modern mastering job.

"Low levels are for wimps."

"Dynamic range is way over rated."

"0 dBFS is not a limit, it's a goal."

How hard can it be?

Simply find the quietest place in the song and note how far down the signal is (in dB). Plug that number into the threshold of your limiter - and you're done.

If you see any dips in the waveform after that, zoom in, find the low spot and repeat.

When the waveform looks like one solid block of color, you have achieved a perfect modern mastering job.

"Low levels are for wimps."

"Dynamic range is way over rated."

"0 dBFS is not a limit, it's a goal."

Ah yes, the primmer of all primmers. Thanks Harvey! Proper and straight to the point. ;)

:cool:

^^ Great post Harvey, Hilarious, and would fit in well with the litany of questionable advice in the article

I had some other issues with the article and some of my favorite WTF moments are:

1) He says:
take it to a mastering house where they will gladly warm up your tunes and relieve you of a load of cash

And then suggests using TC Powercore CL1B on individual tracks and then either Ozone or T-Racks on the master.
These plugs cost about $700 combined (assuming you already have th powercore DSP card). For $700 yo could easily get 3 albums mastered professionally at a reputable Mastering House
WTF?

2) he says:
All i’m doing is what i should have done in the first place – applying some compression. The music i’m making is very dynamic so i don’t want to just squash everything so here’s how i approached it:

Solo the track, insert the plug-in.
Switch the meter to “input” so i could see the level coming in
Adjust the threshold knob down to the same level
Switch the meter to “compression”
Adjust the threshold until the meter was showing about 3dB – 5dB of compression
Adjust the ratio knob to alter the severity of compression – I left this quite low as i was looking for light compression
Un-solo the track & adjust the gain to compensate the drop in level.
This isn’t a mastering process – this is mixing properly!

Compressing a random track with a goal of simply reducing the output by 3-5dB is not mixing properly. It's checking a box for the sake of it without understanding what you are doing or why.
why pick that track? What made him feel it needed compressing? Why 3-5 dB? what about attack and release settings? why do it solo rather than in the context of the mix?
If he just wanted the track 3-5 dB quiter in some spots why pick a compressor at all? what about riding the faders or volume automation?
In fact why even talk about mixing in an article about mastering at all? Mastering tracks assumes the mixes are done and you are happy with them this is just confusing.
WTF?

3) he says:
I would recommend using a different piece of software to that which you created the music in – it’s not essential but it does give that feeling of progression

Huh?
So although my DAW has a perfectly good audio engine and can host all of my VSTs I need to buy more software to master?
WTF?

4) He says:
Most people go on about how it’s all to do with your ears – which it is of course – but i find it very helpful to be able “see” what’s going on. The spectrum meter gives an instant impression of where your music is harmonically heavy and where a bit of EQ would smooth everything out.

So if it sounds good but looks harmonically heavy you should EQ the F*ck out of it anyway, even though it sounds good? (you do know that those plugs suggested will also add euphonic harmonics by design right? to make the music sound more analog or "pro" or whatever,right? So he suggests slapping in processing to add harmonics and then use those same processors to EQ out the harmoncs, HA HA HA)
WTF?

there was lots more but these really made me laugh and say WTF?

I'm not saying you can't master your own stuff at all because you absolutely can. But buying $700 of "mastering" plugins plus a new DAW to master in (to save $2-300 bucks on getting an album professionally mastered) and then slapping a bunch of random effects on, regardless of how the music actually sounds seems to go against everything this forum usually stands for in terms of how we advise people go about mixing/mastering in a smart way

Last edited:
You folks are killing me......... DIY mastering. Search for proper mastering "house" call, discuss, prep your mix. Pay $. simple. Get good product back. Repeat.

On a side note I am regularly faced with "Please can you make it louder for my jam box I use when I am offshore?"

Damn I hate that.

The very beginning of the article seems to be the root of the trouble.

I’ve read a lot of articles that support the idea that mastering is somehow special, or more professional, the reserve of hardened and wizened mastering engineers with mystical powers of “finishing”.
It's not special or mystical in any way other than you need tens of thousands of dollars to dump into speakers and room design before you can even start listening at a level that will let you do the job. No amount of spunky "can-do" DIY attitude can ever hope to overcome that.

First, it has a good mastering preset section which automatically loads up an EQ, a multi-band compressor and a limiter – just what you need.
And if you were able to listen, you'd never write the above.

there are somethings in here you can set a watch to..

One is definitely any "self mastering" thread

and the answer is "dont even attempt you fool! give me your money and Ill do it"... lolz ;)

Just because something is self-serving doesn't make it wrong. You wouldn't complain if a forum full of dentists said the same thing.

dude did you miss the ;)

and you can master your own stuff...of course you can, yes theres an investment but then the softwares yours...apart from the fact most DAWs come equipped with decent enough plug ins to begin with...why not learn, half of us learn most of our recording techniques...why not this as well <shrug>

And Im just back from the dentist funny enough...first crown in three (five injections..ouch!)...the dentist was eyeing up a holiday brochure while murmuring something about British teeth

there goes Reason 5 next month...fucker :mad:

lol

dude did you miss the ;)

and you can master your own stuff...of course you can, yes theres an investment but then the softwares yours...apart from the fact most DAWs come equipped with decent enough plug ins to begin with...why not learn, half of us learn most of our recording techniques...why not this as well <shrug>

And Im just back from the dentist funny enough...first crown in three (five injections..ouch!)...the dentist was eyeing up a holiday brochure while murmuring something about British teeth

there goes Reason 5 next month...fucker :mad:

lol

HA HA HA HA HA you'll have to settle for reason 4 then KC :D

:cool:

Back