Mastering a Cd

vlasor

Trying to figure out my process of recording and finishing out a cd quality recording. I am recording onto a HD24, and mixing down to a Masterlink. I have some outboard eq's, compression, and effects. How should I best utilize what I've got to take what I've got recorded and finalize the mixdown?

Is there anything special needed for mastering other than what I've got? If so, what?

Thanks....

The best way to finalize a cd is to send it to a mastering engineer. Not trying to be a smartass but unless you've got the skills and equipment(not to mention a different set of ears) you really shouldn't be trying to master. Just get the cd as good as you can. Then if you're planning on releasing it then send it to a ME that has some skills.

Yep. Do the best mix you can possibly do. Spend days/weeks/months on it until you're as happy as you can be with the mix.

Then go to a mastering studio with your UNPROCESSED tracks, and tell the engineer exactly what you're trying to achieve.

All of the above can be quite expensive.

What's wrong with trying to "master" mastering yourself... apart from doing somebody out of business?

Synkrotron said:
All of the above can be quite expensive.

What's wrong with trying to "master" mastering yourself... apart from doing somebody out of business?

This debate is all over this board. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to master it yourself. But it is not a lesson that will be summed up to a few paragraphs. Do search for the software.....then tell me how expensive it all is. :)

Hiya Jamie (is it Jamie?),

Do search for the software.....then tell me how expensive it all is.

It's not the sofware I was refering to as being expensive but the Mastering Engineer's hourly rate. Please accept my apologies if I've misinterpreted you post

andy

Synkrotron said:
Hiya Jamie (is it Jamie?),

It's not the sofware I was refering to as being expensive but the Mastering Engineer's hourly rate. Please accept my apologies if I've misinterpreted you post

andy

You got the spelling right. And you did not misinterpret the post. I am just saying that for a beginner, it would probably be just as expensive to buy the gear as it would to just send it off to have it done. Well, in all actuality, it would be far more expensive if you are getting the right gear. But I am sure that with time and practice, a person could use minimal gear to achieve the sound they want.

Back