Is this mastering???

pappy999

I took a PT session that I am mixing and bounced it to a 24bit master. I then pushed the 24 bit master up 2.8db. At this level the kick and sometimes snare were clipping. I then went into my wave editor and carefully applied negative gain to the clipping tracks only in the spots that clipped. I did this with the track totally stretched out to be careful not to lower the volume in a large spot.

The result was a non-clipping track that was 2.8 db louder than the old one with no noticable loss in kick or snare volume.

Is what I did a waste of time or am I on to something?

pappy999 said:
I took a PT session that I am mixing and bounced it to a 24bit master. I then pushed the 24 bit master up 2.8db. At this level the kick and sometimes snare were clipping. I then went into my wave editor and carefully applied negative gain to the clipping tracks only in the spots that clipped. I did this with the track totally stretched out to be careful not to lower the volume in a large spot.

The result was a non-clipping track that was 2.8 db louder than the old one with no noticable loss in kick or snare volume.

Is what I did a waste of time or am I on to something?

Don't let my last post piss ya off... Just kiddin...

As far as what you did... I'm thinking you could have used a compressor with more impressive results... It kinda works on the same principal...... But, ultimately, your audio was clipped... Which is a no-no... (Someone flame me if i'm wrong..)

peritus said:
But, ultimately, your audio was clipped... Which is a no-no... (Someone flame me if i'm wrong..)

pappy999 did say that the corrective action was applied to the *tracks* in question. Not sure if that implies the tracks were then rebounced to a master.

If only the 24 bit master (post bounce) was edited then yes - one would have a clipped signal incorporated in the master, which is bad.

dinorocker said:
pappy999 did say that the corrective action was applied to the *tracks* in question. Not sure if that implies the tracks were then rebounced to a master.

If only the 24 bit master (post bounce) was edited then yes - one would have a clipped signal incorporated in the master, which is bad.

Agreed... Thanks for the clarity...

Is manipulating volume ever a part of the mastering process? For example:
Bringing the volume up on a guitar break.

pappy999 said:

I'd say that would define mixing more than mastering. Mastering in general does not deal with individual tracks/components, but with the sound of the entire song.

pappy999 said:

I'm thinking that would be more on the mixing side of things...

For an blatant example of what you are saying, listen to Live - Lightning Crashes.... BIIIIG dip in volume on the whole track... It's used to add dramatic contrast... I'm guessin' that anyway... Works for me... Kinda tacky though...

peritus said:
I'm thinking that would be more on the mixing side of things...

For an blatant example of what you are saying, listen to Live - Lightning Crashes.... BIIIIG dip in volume on the whole track... It's used to add dramatic contrast... I'm guessin' that anyway... Works for me... Kinda tacky though...

Check it...

Back