Mastering

onlydude

You guys that use reason, do you use the mastering tools from reason or do you
take each seprate track and master it with a different program? Which is the better way to go? If reason mastering is better does anyone have a link to a good tutorial? If using a better program is better, is sound forge good for mastering? I'm picking it up soon to chop up samples and was wondering if i should use that for mastering as well.

I've used the mastering in Reason at times and then also done it in Cubase. It just depends on if Reason gives me what I want without too much effort.

All i have is Reason, and i use the Mastering tools in every beat i make.
I dont really use the mastering combinater, but the individual machines where needed instead. it's not going to be as good as professionall mastering equipment, but its damn good for what it is.

onlydude said:
You guys that use reason, do you use the mastering tools from reason or do you
take each seprate track and master it with a different program? Which is the better way to go? If reason mastering is better does anyone have a link to a good tutorial? If using a better program is better, is sound forge good for mastering? I'm picking it up soon to chop up samples and was wondering if i should use that for mastering as well.

When you are still working with individual instrument tracks you are MIXING, not mastering. Mastering is done on the entire beat AFTER mixing. That being said, I find that the reason masterig suite does just fine...but i doubt youll find a tutorial -- Mastering is a skill that must be acquired through trial and error. Trust your ear, not a video/book. I wouldnt suggest sound forge for that particular use either...generally you want to hear all the instruments at the same time when making these types of edits. Plus if youre only using it for samples, youd be better off getting Recycle anyway. But sound forge does have its uses. (I use it for sample rate/bit depth conversion and mp3 encoding) Hope this helps.

Back