Landr

Sharkeye

Guys,

Can I ask you to review the overall sound quality of my two songs mastered by LANDR? The idea is to release the two songs as separate singles on CD Baby (digitally), and on a limited amount of 7# vinyl with one song on each side. Obviously, it’s a low cost indie project and I was hoping the LANDR masters would cover both formats? Some say exclusive mastering for vinyl is just vanity and most people wouldn’t hear the difference??

In case you’re not familiar with LANDR, it’s probably the leading online mastering system on the market, and I think it’s great – compared to most bedroom engineering and low cost services out there.

Please let me know if you’re listening with headphones, nice monitors, desktop speakers etc.

https://soundcloud.com/blupa/repetition-of-life

Cheers, Geir

Last edited:
...In case you’re not familiar with LANDR...

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ndr-mastering-box-aams-vs-real-people-391787/

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ing/automatic-audio-mastering-systems-391400/

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...tic-mastering-software-online-servies-391559/

We're pretty familiar with it. :)

If you want comments on the LANDR mastering quality of your songs...there has to a be an A/B, Before/After comparison, otherwise it's impossible to say if made your mixes better or worse.
That said...just listening to the LANDR versions, I'm hearing that same problem that I've heard with other LANDR masters....the mid-high end is way over hyped, almost annoying.
That's seems to be common, because LANDR doesn't really *hear* your mix to know how to master it...it just tends to apply a hyped "smile" EQ across most anything you give it...but then, that's all one can expect from an auto-mastering application that is only using preset algorithms to come up with a solution.

In the end...if you think it's good...then it's good. ;)

Miroslav, If you feel the mid-high end is over hyped – then I guess it is over hyped – and I must rethink my case. Interesting what you and others here say about the subject (thanks for the links – I apologize, of course you know LANDR). Thanks so much :)

Yeah, definite 'smile EQ' thing going on there. I listened with headphones and computer speakers. But a lot of people like (or are used to) that kind of EQing. For the music style (to my ears), the bass is too hyped and there's no 'meat' (mids) in the mix.

It's hard to say what this version is like - we really need the 'unmastered' version to hear the difference, but it did sound more balanced. I don't think I listened to the 2nd song the last time. The bass is panned full (or almost full) left? That's a strange choice. The drums are way back in the mix, can barely make them out at the 'countdown' part of the song, maybe that's what you were going for...

The second song have some issues, I agree, guess I'm not done with that one. The bass is dead center though..

One thing to consider is that unless you are just releasing a 'single', real mastering takes ALL the songs in a release and gets them into the same volume/tonal spectrum so they flow well from one to the next. Not that many people still listen to a whole album at once, but no one likes to have to twiddle with volume and tone controls while listening.

If you want comments on the LANDR mastering quality of your songs...there has to a be an A/B, Before/After comparison, otherwise it's impossible to say if made your mixes better or worse.
That said...just listening to the LANDR versions, I'm hearing that same problem that I've heard with other LANDR masters....the mid-high end is way over hyped, almost annoying.
That's seems to be common, because LANDR doesn't really *hear* your mix to know how to master it...it just tends to apply a hyped "smile" EQ across most anything you give it...but then, that's all one can expect from an auto-mastering application that is only using preset algorithms to come up with a solution.

In the end...if you think it's good...then it's good. ;)[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

The same guy resurrected one from 2008 with the last post from 2011. It was about getting CD sleaves or something.
I hope the OP didn't wait 12 years to get those CDs out. :eatpopcorn:

Back