It's Dynamic Range Day!!

Special guest speakers are rumoured to be John Malkovich, followed by Mr. T, followed by Donald Pleasence and finishing off with Brian Blessed.

a day to appreciate dynamics in music
I do that every damn day.

Audio Snobs Unite!

Umm.. "We don't need no stinking badges.." :drunk:

What the hell though. Isn't interesting how we fuss endlessly over the minutia of details, apply our carefully gained and regarded expertise 'the right mic, the best pre! on and on through the whole process.. Ooo! :eek:

Then at the very end.. '..We are well advised that the situation is, and get over it, that but for a handful of audio snobs.. most don't give a rats ass about audio quality.
Now this does include us making these recordings right?

I love the cry of "audio snob" echoed throughout the internet. It's like being branded a food snob for asking to go to Boston Market instead of McDonnalds.

haha. I was just joking. It's cool to like dynamics. Plus if Mr. T is speaking I'm all for this day of honor.

haha. I was just joking. It's cool to like dynamics. Plus if Mr. T is speaking I'm all for this day of honor.

Mr. T's cool. He's even agreed to have his speech converted to signing, purely to increase the dynamic range of the whole event.

The organisers are still trying to finalise the contract for the WWF choir..

Tune in next week for "Mixing without Reverb Day"!!!

Coming soon:

"No punch-ins Day"!!!!
"No Copy and Paste Day"!!!!
"No Comping Day"!!!!
"No Over-dubs Day"!!!

and the highlight of the year.........

"HEY! YOU DIDN'T GET THAT ECHO BY RECORDING IN THE GRAND CANYON DAY"!!!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
how about no preamps day...just plug a mic into a tape deck and hit record! or no instruments day...everything has to be done like bobby mcfarren!

I think the "Let's smash the fuck out of this track so the nose flute is the same volume as the entire bagpipe section of the Scots Dragoon Guards, with extra nuclear explosions" day, will be well attended. :)

My contribution to the day was to not add any limiting to some vinyl pre master files
I was creating at 24 bit for an artist. (Though to be fair this would have been the case anyway.)

I remain open minded about the loudnesss wars and yet I think it is a step in the right direction.

My contribution to the day was to not add any limiting to some vinyl pre master files
I was creating at 24 bit for an artist. (Though to be fair this would have been the case anyway.)

I remain open minded about the loudnesss wars and yet I think it is a step in the right direction.
Interesting. I would have guessed that limiting for vinyl goes back to day one (SOP' for the medium?), little or nothing like the damage we're accepting as the 'cost these days

On the one hand, I think "artist intention." On the other, I wonder, "artist indifference?"

This is the stuff that got me interested in recording in the first place. Two anecdotes:

There's a local singer/songwriter whose music is very appealing to me. I'd go see him at some small local clubs, where the sound of terrible PA systems dominates. His albums, likewise, sounded hot and compressed; looking at the actual dynamic range using Keith Howard's nifty little app confirmed my ears' impression. One evening, he did a "secret" show in a pedestrian tunnel running under 6th Street. No amplification, just voice, guitar, and banjo. Absolutely brilliant! Why couldn't his albums sound like that?

A few months later, I attended a recording session for his first live album and had a chance to talk with his engineer/producer. E/P explained to me that "microphones don't work like your ears." Gee, thanks. He assured me that they only used minimal compression and EQ and said (swear to god), "Trust me, I'm a professional." This was NOT something I found reassuring. As expected, the sound of that show was flat-out magnificent. No crappy PA, wonderful acoustic instruments played by performers with insane talent. Then the album was released... hot, compressed, all the instruments sounding generic, all the subtleties of the playing and singing squashed out of it. 20dB dynamic range at best. Thanks a fucking lot, Mr. Professional. When I talked with the performer about it, he seemed genuinely surprised; "E/P really is a fanatic about high quality sound. Maybe it was the mastering..." Bottom line: tough noogies, if you want my music, you'll just have to deal with the rotten sound, that's how we want it.

Second anecdote: I hired a really talented young alt-country guy out of Houston to play a house concert. His first album was a home recording deal, complete with high compression, searingly hot high end, and clipping. Again, a fellow with a terrific voice, nice sounding guitar, but you'd never know it from his recordings. We hung out after the show, putting away a few bottles, and listened to some music- this was his first exposure to a truly high end hifi system (all my stuff is home built). Eye opener was putting on his album after listening to some really well-recorded and largely uncompressed music in the same genre. He immediately asked, "Can I bring in a CD from my car? It's a mix for my next album." Well, duh, of course! We put it on and it was definitely an improvement (hadn't been mastered yet), but still, not with the sort of natural, easy sound of the good recordings. Bottom line, I decided then and there to start recording, and he agreed to participate in a truly naked project: minimal miking, all acoustic, no compression, minimal EQ.

Now, I'm the owner of some decent ribbon mikes (Cascade X-15, with custom transformers replacing the stock units), mike preamps (my design, home built), and a 24/96 interface (ditto). First test recordings in high-res are everything I could have hoped for and more. And even better, a couple of other local guys have heard them and asked if they could participate in the project as well. I'm hoping that by summer's end, I have enough material for a sampler album for release in high res format.

This sort of thing places a great demand on the performers, but with talented musicians playing good instruments, it's hard to go back to that mystery meat sound that so many people are aiming for. And I now have one more avocation to distract me from my real work!

Sorry to go long here, but this is my bete noir. I hope more people who are bothered by Loudness Wars will do what I did, get off their complaining asses and do something about it.

Hi there, there is limiting, hf limiting and digital brickwall limiting.

Brickwall limiting came after the advent of vinyl and the medium generally reflects
gross distortion when heavy limiting is applied to the audio. Flat topped waveforms do
not transfer to vinyl sympathetically.

It is best to leave this to the lathe engineer who should know what to do.

Back