If I overdub on a mastered recording, do I need to master it again?

smoke21

I did try a search, sorry if I missed it or it's blindingly obvious.

We got our mastered tracks back, and like them, but might want to add a couple background vocals and maybe a tambourine on one track. If we do that will they have to be mastered all over again?

Likely not an issue if just minor touches. But you may need to update the DDP file if you are duplicating that way.

And sorry to be the guy telling you to 'get off my lawn', but you should have finished the mix before mastering...

Sorry, my daddy thing came out. lol!

You should be good as long as the output format is good.

Does your mastering guy allow a second chance?

Does your mastering guy allow a second chance?

Yeah...I would talk to the mastering engineer, and explain that some tracks were accidentally omitted from the mix.
He may be OK with you resubmitting the mix, and he'll probably just run the same mastering processes, with maybe only a minor adjustment, so not like a tone of rework on his part.

The potential problem with adding overdubs to a finished mix that's been mastered...is that they may not "gel" right, and they could sound like they are not quite part of the mix, but sorta sitting on top of it. You could try it...but remixing and remastering will yield a better result.

I would definitely not just dub new tracks into the master. I'd go back to the mix stage of the process, get the new tracks to sit properly and then remaster. As suggested, it may not even need anything different in mastering if the changes are minor, but you do want the new tracks to go through that processing with the rest of it.

bad idea, to dub on top of an already mastered file.

it's just a terrible compromise for not doing it correctly.

Back