How to produce CD of interview material?

Scairt

As part of a local history project I have interviewed an individual (see attached mp3 sample) and now wish to produce a CD of the recording session. Basic cutting was done in Adobe Audition, of which I have very limited knowledge. I am completely at a loss as to what—if any— steps I need to take in order to produce a CD with sufficient volume and sound quality for radio broadcast or a home stereo system. The whole area of compression etc looks pretty complicated.

Please forgive my inexperience!

Attachments

• Charlie_S.mp3
    255 KB · Views: 14
Sure - sorry. Adobe Audition should probably have a limiter that you can use. You would put that on the master bus then render all the audio to a .wav file. Look up the Limiter in the help files to understand where it is and basic controls. Without knowing Audition or the included Limiter, I can't give you specific guidance. Just that the limiter is what you want to use to get perceived volume up.

For radio you need to go for the levels requested by the broadcaster - having decent metering that measures LUFS will help here.

For CD's I would just adjust the levels so that the loudest peaks fall around -1dBFS. I wouldn't use limiting on speech unless there were just a few unnaturally loud peaks.

Whenever I have recorded speech I use a limiter for mastering. However I set it up so that the limiter only limits the loudest peaks by maybe-3db (-5db if very load part). For example when the voice is raised during an exciting phase, if live speech it also helps to control loud applause. If there is a load quick peak like someone thumping the podium or hitting the mic I usually edit this softer before mastering.

By doing this people playing the CD won't have to turn up the playback volume to hear the soft parts and then get blown out of the room during the loud parts, I also helps heaps if people listen while driving the car so that the soft parts are not drowned out by road noise.

Alan

Just thought from an old bottle jockey? Stuff the track though a High Pass Filter before any dynamics.

I would "creep up on it" from about 100Hz then back off a bit as the voice gets unnaturally thin.

And!! Have you backed up the backup of the backup?

Dave.

Back