Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you master LOUD with it distorting when you turn it up LOUD.

Thanks

How do you master LOUD with it distorting when you turn it up LOUD.

Sign in to disable this ad
    Yo, I noticed that I get some really nice and LOUD masters, but once you turn it up more than half way it just starts to break up, get distorted and crunchy. Is that just the way it is or is there some kind of EQing (or something) that can be done so that I can master it loud and it not get distorted as easily when I pump up the volume of my speakers? I'm talking about just regular old speakers for your computer, in your car etc. Some of the old music I listen too can be turned it up all the way and it sounds great. Although I don't think it was as loud to begin with.

With my stuff I only have the turn the speakers up half way to get the same volume without the distortion, but I would like to be able to really crank it up without it getting all crappy sounding. How do I improve on this? Is it a mixing thing? I'm a leaving too much low end or high end in the mix? Anything else you can thing of? Suggestion welcome
    So long home recording dot com. Kiss my ass!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FoulPhil View Post
    Some of the old music I listen too can be turned it up all the way and it sounds great. Although I don't think it was as loud to begin with.

With my stuff I only have the turn the speakers up half way to get the same volume without the distortion...
    I could be wrong but it sounds like you're simply overdriving your playback systems. The volume control merely controls the amount of gain applied. If the source has an overall higher average level then the system will produce (or attempt to produce) more watts for a given setting on the volume knob.

That said, it's possible your mixes have excess LF that you aren't hearing in your monitors. Maybe you can compare a commercial mix to your mix on a spectrograph. Or post an example.

Thanks
    I'm with BSG, it sounds like you are just over driving your co.putter speakers. The reason the old stuff sounds good all the way up is because it isn't as loud in the first place. Your speakers can only put out so much volume before they distort, once you cross that line, there is nothing you can do.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thanks
    I think you guys might be right because I just listened to a new song from a new album that came out yesterday and it seems to be the same situation although it holds a little better. It also seems like most commercial release don't have the same low end as my stuff. It's less bass across the board. Should I be cutting a bit more bass off during mixing or does it really matter?

I don't really know if I should try to mimic what I hear from commercial release or not. It's like they EQ a lot of stuff out that I normally wouldn't.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FoulPhil View Post
    I think you guys might be right because I just listened to a new song from a new album that came out yesterday and it seems to be the same situation although it holds a little better. It also seems like most commercial release don't have the same low end as my stuff. It's less bass across the board. Should I be cutting a bit more bass off during mixing or does it really matter?

I don't really know if I should try to mimic what I hear from commercial release or not. It's like they EQ a lot of stuff out that I normally wouldn't.
    If your mixes consistently have more lows than commercial releases from various artists then I would suspect your monitoring system is off. How do commercial mixes sound on your studio monitors?

Thanks
    Sounds about the same. I guess it's just subtle difference, but they end up adding up. I'm not sure if I'm just confusing myself or what.

Thanks
    it's easier to turn up the volume knob,
    then to turn off the distortion and lack of dynamics
    Amazon albums: "Stay", "The Time is Magic", "Trouble", “The Wild Animals”

Thanks
    You might just be able to get away with cutting low end that doesn't need to be there. You might just have a bunch of rumble and mud that is adding up.

Try using a high pass filter on vocals at about 100hz. Electric guitar at around 80hz, etc ... Only leave the subsonic stuff in the bass and kick.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Farview View Post
    You might just be able to get away with cutting low end that doesn't need to be there. You might just have a bunch of rumble and mud that is adding up.

Try using a high pass filter on vocals at about 100hz. Electric guitar at around 80hz, etc ... Only leave the subsonic stuff in the bass and kick.
    Missed my cue by 10 minutes. Removing all the "unnecessary" low end will help your woofers push more of the right low end. It's just a matter of looking under the right rocks to figure out what's unnecessary...
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GONZO-X View Post
    it's easier to turn up the volume knob,
    then to turn off the distortion and lack of dynamics
    It doesn't lack dynamics, it just get's to the maximum loudness faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Farview View Post

I do something similar to that already, but maybe need to do a bit more than I thought...

Thread Information