Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: How do you master LOUD with it distorting when you turn it up LOUD.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,092
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    13718568

    How do you master LOUD with it distorting when you turn it up LOUD.

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Yo, I noticed that I get some really nice and LOUD masters, but once you turn it up more than half way it just starts to break up, get distorted and crunchy. Is that just the way it is or is there some kind of EQing (or something) that can be done so that I can master it loud and it not get distorted as easily when I pump up the volume of my speakers? I'm talking about just regular old speakers for your computer, in your car etc. Some of the old music I listen too can be turned it up all the way and it sounds great. Although I don't think it was as loud to begin with.

    With my stuff I only have the turn the speakers up half way to get the same volume without the distortion, but I would like to be able to really crank it up without it getting all crappy sounding. How do I improve on this? Is it a mixing thing? I'm a leaving too much low end or high end in the mix? Anything else you can thing of? Suggestion welcome
    So long home recording dot com. Kiss my ass!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    8,158
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 550 Times in 511 Posts
    Rep Power
    14820464
    Quote Originally Posted by FoulPhil View Post
    Some of the old music I listen too can be turned it up all the way and it sounds great. Although I don't think it was as loud to begin with.

    With my stuff I only have the turn the speakers up half way to get the same volume without the distortion...
    I could be wrong but it sounds like you're simply overdriving your playback systems. The volume control merely controls the amount of gain applied. If the source has an overall higher average level then the system will produce (or attempt to produce) more watts for a given setting on the volume knob.

    That said, it's possible your mixes have excess LF that you aren't hearing in your monitors. Maybe you can compare a commercial mix to your mix on a spectrograph. Or post an example.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,265
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 491 Times in 437 Posts
    Rep Power
    15179948
    I'm with BSG, it sounds like you are just over driving your co.putter speakers. The reason the old stuff sounds good all the way up is because it isn't as loud in the first place. Your speakers can only put out so much volume before they distort, once you cross that line, there is nothing you can do.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,092
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    13718568
    I think you guys might be right because I just listened to a new song from a new album that came out yesterday and it seems to be the same situation although it holds a little better. It also seems like most commercial release don't have the same low end as my stuff. It's less bass across the board. Should I be cutting a bit more bass off during mixing or does it really matter?

    I don't really know if I should try to mimic what I hear from commercial release or not. It's like they EQ a lot of stuff out that I normally wouldn't.
    So long home recording dot com. Kiss my ass!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    8,158
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 550 Times in 511 Posts
    Rep Power
    14820464
    Quote Originally Posted by FoulPhil View Post
    I think you guys might be right because I just listened to a new song from a new album that came out yesterday and it seems to be the same situation although it holds a little better. It also seems like most commercial release don't have the same low end as my stuff. It's less bass across the board. Should I be cutting a bit more bass off during mixing or does it really matter?

    I don't really know if I should try to mimic what I hear from commercial release or not. It's like they EQ a lot of stuff out that I normally wouldn't.
    If your mixes consistently have more lows than commercial releases from various artists then I would suspect your monitoring system is off. How do commercial mixes sound on your studio monitors?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,092
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    13718568
    Sounds about the same. I guess it's just subtle difference, but they end up adding up. I'm not sure if I'm just confusing myself or what.
    So long home recording dot com. Kiss my ass!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Powderville
    Posts
    3,808
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 67 Times in 63 Posts
    Rep Power
    8188952
    it's easier to turn up the volume knob,
    then to turn off the distortion and lack of dynamics
    Amazon albums: "Stay", "The Time is Magic", "Trouble", “The Wild Animals”

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,265
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 491 Times in 437 Posts
    Rep Power
    15179948
    You might just be able to get away with cutting low end that doesn't need to be there. You might just have a bunch of rumble and mud that is adding up.

    Try using a high pass filter on vocals at about 100hz. Electric guitar at around 80hz, etc ... Only leave the subsonic stuff in the bass and kick.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Clinton, NC
    Posts
    5,745
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 448 Times in 421 Posts
    Rep Power
    10005773
    Quote Originally Posted by Farview View Post
    You might just be able to get away with cutting low end that doesn't need to be there. You might just have a bunch of rumble and mud that is adding up.

    Try using a high pass filter on vocals at about 100hz. Electric guitar at around 80hz, etc ... Only leave the subsonic stuff in the bass and kick.
    Missed my cue by 10 minutes. Removing all the "unnecessary" low end will help your woofers push more of the right low end. It's just a matter of looking under the right rocks to figure out what's unnecessary...
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,092
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    13718568
    Quote Originally Posted by GONZO-X View Post
    it's easier to turn up the volume knob,
    then to turn off the distortion and lack of dynamics
    It doesn't lack dynamics, it just get's to the maximum loudness faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by Farview View Post
    You might just be able to get away with cutting low end that doesn't need to be there. You might just have a bunch of rumble and mud that is adding up.

    Try using a high pass filter on vocals at about 100hz. Electric guitar at around 80hz, etc ... Only leave the subsonic stuff in the bass and kick.
    I do something similar to that already, but maybe need to do a bit more than I thought...
    So long home recording dot com. Kiss my ass!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. how to get the loud dry snappy loud crack on a deeper snare drum?
    By 77766613 in forum Drums and Percussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 07:31
  2. How loud do you mix and master at
    By timboZ in forum Mixing Techniques
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 07-23-2006, 10:28
  3. my comp fan is to loud how can i turn it down?
    By bad intentionz in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-28-2005, 16:35
  4. How Loud do I turn up my pre-amp?
    By MicFlo in forum Gear Reviews & Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 02:21
  5. Super loud hum when I turn up the gain....?
    By Keyz316 in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 13:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •