Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Good VST Parametric EQ

Thanks

Good VST Parametric EQ

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm running Sonar 8.5 Producer edition, and I'm personally not a fan of the parametric EQ that comes with it.
    However, I've worked with FL Studio before, and I absolutely LOVE the Fruity Parametric EQ 2. If anyone knows of one similar to this EQ, please tell me (by similar, I mean the thing I love about it is that when you lay a song back, you can visually see where the frequencies are at their strongest in the VST).

DJYoshaBYD Guest
    well, if im not mistaken, you should be able to use the fruity eq in sonar, as im pretty sure its just a VST or DXI.. check your plugin folder to see what format its in, then you can just copy it over..

MDA makes good EQs and whatnot.. they are a mainstay in my vst folder

search for them at kvraudio.com

they make a whhhooolllleee bunch of different plugins you may find useful

Thanks
    A couple of EQ's you demo try are, they both have spectrum analysers.

DMG Audio

AiXcoustic Creations: Electri-Q (FULL)

Both have their own strong userbase/followers.

Or get Span from Voxengo if you like to see an analyser and plug it before or after
    any EQ of choice if one you like the sound of does not have an analysis facility.

cheers

Barry Gardner
    SafeandSound Mastering
    .masteringmastering.co.uk/onlinemastering.html

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    I don't want to sound "stick-in-the-mud-ish" but your goal in the VERY short-term should be not needing to *see* what an EQ is doing... And certainly not basing your decision on which EQ to use by whether it has something as "crutch-like" and potentially misleading as a spectrum display.

DJYoshaBYD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Master View Post
    I don't want to sound "stick-in-the-mud-ish" but your goal in the VERY short-term should be not needing to *see* what an EQ is doing... And certainly not basing your decision on which EQ to use by whether it has something as "crutch-like" and potentially misleading as a spectrum display.
    i dont want to sound the same, but if its so useless to have a spectrum analyzer, then why are they built into so many EQs? just a question.. because, i use them (though not nearly as much as my ear), but i find them useful...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DJYoshaBYD View Post
    i dont want to sound the same, but if its so useless to have a spectrum analyzer, then why are they built into so many EQs? just a question.. because, i use them (though not nearly as much as my ear), but i find them useful...
    Because they are very inexpensive but very shiny things that get people's attraction and get people who don't know any better to want to buy the software while costing the developer next to nothing to actually put in there. OOh, I can get this EQ with no FFT analyzer, or that one with one? I'll get that one with one.

FFT analysis has it's legitimate diagnostic uses, but only rarely are the things it's best used to diagnose all that properly addressable through the use of EQ. The one thing it is NOT for (but that a lot of manufacturers want you to believe they are for), are to give those with no ears the ability sidestep that issue with their eyes.

G.
    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Glen J. Stephan,
    SouthSIDE Multimedia Productions[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkGreen]RECORDING RESOURCES AND INFO SITE:[/COLOR]
    [URL="www.independentrecording.net"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL][/B][/SIZE]

DJYoshaBYD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthSIDE Glen View Post
    Because they are very inexpensive but very shiny things that get people's attraction and get people who don't know any better to want to buy the software while costing the developer next to nothing to actually put in there. OOh, I can get this EQ with no FFT analyzer, or that one with one? I'll get that one with one.

FFT analysis has it's legitimate diagnostic uses, but only rarely are the things it's best used to diagnose all that properly addressable through the use of EQ. The one thing it is NOT for (but that a lot of manufacturers want you to believe they are for), are to give those with no ears the ability sidestep that issue with their eyes.

G.
    nice explanation.. like i said.. i started using my ears, and still do all the time.. i just dont mind having it up..

they are kinda purtee, though.. haha

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DJYoshaBYD View Post
    they are kinda purtee, though.. haha
    That they are, no question. And they are like the Jacob's ladders of the audio studio; easy to display to easily impress the client with the ooh and ah factor.

But before long, one of two things will happen.

If you do take on clients, you'll get one who's been around the block once or twice and who will recognize the spectral analysis as a sign that you're either a newb or a shyster, and your reputation will take a big blow when he lets that fact out.

And second, whether you take on clients or just produce yourself, before long the pretty lights will just get in the way and be seen as a waste of time to even bother to bring on screen. You'll just want to go ahead and make the change that you hear needs to be done, and not waste time bringing up the analyzer when you don't need to bring it up. You'd rather just perform the task at hand and not bother with the pretty eye candy display that lost it's k3wl factor months ago.

Like I say, there are uses for it, just like there are uses for an MRI scan of your body. But it's not something you want or need to do every time you have a doctor's appointment, let alone have a headache.

G.

Thanks
    If you do take on clients, you'll get one who's been around the block once or twice and who will recognize the spectral analysis as a sign that you're either a newb or a shyster, and your reputation will take a big blow when he lets that fact out.
    I disagree with this statement completely, it's just internet "I'll follow the standard statements" IMO, all tools have a position in the studio. It's like saying "You mean you use big, well designed and expensive speakers with an accurate and extended bass response to hear the low end.... if you are a good mastering engineer you should be able to hear that from a set of Tannoy Reveals"

Of course it's better to listen, but using an analyser is a complete non issue if the end result is excellent though ideally they should be used
    with top line monitoring for mastering. (I don't know of any EQ that does not have an analyser built in these days, to be honest)
    SafeandSound Mastering
    .masteringmastering.co.uk/onlinemastering.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SafeandSound View Post
    I disagree with this statement completely, it's just internet "I'll follow the standard statements" IMO, all tools have a position in the studio.
    As practically everybody on this board who's been here for more than two weeks could tell you, I don't follow anybody on the Internet.

You're right, all tools have a position in the studio, including FFT analysis. You will notice I already said so twice in this tread (now three times.) And there have been plenty of times before where I have discussed and demonstrated in detail many real-life legitimate uses for one, including screen shots from the very Voxengo Span you recommended earlier (which is indeed my analyzer of choice as well.)
    Quote Originally Posted by SafeandSound
    Of course it's better to listen, but using an analyser is a complete non issue if the end result is excellent
    If one has to use an analyzer instead of their ear for regular engineering procedures other than specific problem troubleshooting and diagnosis, "excellent" results are virtually impossible by anything but chance. That's not an Internet echo chamber parrot talking, that's first person observation based upon over three decades of experience in music and television production.

If I come over to someone's studio and I catch catch them using spectral analysis to try and match together two songs in an album by trying to match their spectral response, or some other nonsense like that, I'll call them out on it faster than Oprah can sniff out a baked ham.

G.
    Last edited by SouthSIDE Glen; 01-29-2011 at 06:02.

Thread Information