The future of Mastering? WTF?

I saw this on another website.
Just one more automated, algorithm driven, preset approach to removing human decision making from the art of music making. :facepalm:

Oh...and it's not all "free".
If you want high-end WAV files, you need to pay a monthly fee, though still not a lot by mastering standards, but.....you get what you pay for.

I can see the "beats" guys eating this up with a spoon......

Some would like to be soon, but our Government is about to move the retiring age to 70 :laughings:

As I keep telling everyone who'll listen witz... there's no such thing as "retirement age" in Australia.... just "old age pension eligibility" age and "access preserved superannuation" age... people can retire whenever they want to... :D

You're already old enough to access your superannuation (if you retired), and your age pension age is 67 or 67.5, depending upon your birthday. ;)

Oh, were we talking about mastering?:laughings:

As far as I'm concerned, getting your pension is mastering the art of life! I'm not one of the board conservatives but I'm sure glad I worked for a British company that offered a good "opt out of the state pension" final salary scheme. I must be one of the last people (at least outside the civil service) to get such a thing.

As for mastering, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Using automatics to compress/normalise/hard limit files (which is what the must do) isn't mastering. (But Greg is right--you can pay some mastering services big money for exactly that...nobody on THIS board though!)

Hmmm...using the same techniques I might be able to offer "free mixing". I'll have to look into that!

As for mastering, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Using automatics to compress/normalise/hard limit files (which is what they must do) isn't mastering. (But Greg is right--you can pay some mastering services big money for exactly that...nobody on THIS board though!)

Hmmm...using the same techniques I might be able to offer "free mixing". I'll have to look into that!

Check out their FAQ section here

They claim that's not what they do.

I can't imagine how it could work well for an entire albums worth of songs needing to be mastered in context of how they fit with each other.

I guess somebody's going to have to just go ahead and try it out and then post before and after files up here just for grins.

Sound Forge has a process called "Wave Hammer" which basically is a "Mastering Plug-in". Set your preset to "Jazz" and press the button. Instant Jazz master. Set your preset to "Metal", BAM you've got the greatest sounding Metal song in the universe! :laughings:

Well, I'm at home today so I tried to give it a test run, and all I get is an error. :mad:

I'll try it again later.

Hi maestro_dmc, Wes at MixGenius here. I apologize for the error you encountered using the LANDR website. We take pride in fixing any issues with our service very quickly. If you’re still having trouble please DM me and I’ll make sure we solve the problem and help get you back to trying out LANDR.

Hi maestro_dmc, Wes at MixGenius here. I apologize for the error you encountered using the LANDR website. We take pride in fixing any issues with our service very quickly. If you’re still having trouble please DM me and I’ll make sure we solve the problem and help get you back to trying out LANDR.

Lol! They're stalking us!

OK, I tried it with a track I posted before in the MP3 clinic.

The Before:

Before

The After:

LandR Version

My 2cents? Louder, Brighter, I'm not sure, phasey-er?(specifically the Intro)

I'll have to listen at home. Of course it is an MP3 file, so that could cause weird artifacting.
I kind of um, like it. :eek:

Thoughts?

And Wes? If I'm still having trouble or have any questions it will be appearing right here in this little ol' thread! :)

Back