A few thoughts about mastering

The engineer makes more of a difference than the gear, once you get past a certain quality level with the gear. The gear simply has to be full range and the engineer needs to know it, but the fancy converters and $20,000 monitors are really only responsible for the last 3% of the quality of the master. The engineer is responsible for the other 97%.

As far as the "mythical/mystical" stuff, that's just hype usually from the inexperienced. There's certainly "secret weapons" -- which usually aren't so secret. But it's a specialty like any other. Not every artist uses the same brush or the same paints. Some mix their own from their own formulas. Some make their own brushes. Not every photographer uses the same camera or technique -- And an expert photographer can usually take a pretty stunning shot with a smart phone.

Meh, I'm probably not making much sense here... It's early and I still need more coffee. Just trying to throw in from another perspective.

I found this to be interesting reading on this topic! :thumbs up: I think that the mystical part, if it even exists, is in how great the impact of a really good mastering job can be. Just like you say, it's different now, with less quality in comes the challenge of making higher quality come out. I predict that if master bus scoped mastering is not gone by now, I find it likely that it will slowly fade away. With the lower quality in also comes the need to have greater control of it and to balance things more transparently. I am both a recording, mixing and mastering engineer, I do it all and I'm always fascinated by how easy it is with modern mix content to completely destroy the conditions for what a mastering engineer can do with it in the traditional way. With access to clean stems (with fx processing in a separate stem), usually no problems, with access to a stereo track with a lot of distortion - a whole different beast.

It's still a bit difficult to generalize like this, I would say that the mastering job has been undergoing a shift in terms of what it contains and I don't find it to be something negative. Over this many years, people in the industry have been brave to challenge the traditional ideas about what the impact of mastering can and should be. I do find that because of all digital tools out there, the expectations have slightly shifted in that more is expected from both mixing and mastering, but that part is kind of just a distraction. I am of the opinion that having a great balance in quality of recording and mixing and mastering is what engineers should be aiming for. Then each process is contributing with its own important magic. But when the magic is gone in recording and mixing, it will certainly not exist in mastering either. :o

I found this to be interesting reading on this topic! :thumbs up: I think that the mystical part, if it even exists, is in how great the impact of a really good mastering job can be. Just like you say, it's different now, with less quality in comes the challenge of making higher quality come out. I predict that if master bus scoped mastering is not gone by now, I find it likely that it will slowly fade away. With the lower quality in also comes the need to have greater control of it and to balance things more transparently. I am both a recording, mixing and mastering engineer, I do it all and I'm always fascinated by how easy it is with modern mix content to completely destroy the conditions for what a mastering engineer can do with it in the traditional way. With access to clean stems (with fx processing in a separate stem), usually no problems, with access to a stereo track with a lot of distortion - a whole different beast.

It's still a bit difficult to generalize like this, I would say that the mastering job has been undergoing a shift in terms of what it contains and I don't find it to be something negative. Over this many years, people in the industry have been brave to challenge the traditional ideas about what the impact of mastering can and should be. I do find that because of all digital tools out there, the expectations have slightly shifted in that more is expected from both mixing and mastering, but that part is kind of just a distraction. I am of the opinion that having a great balance in quality of recording and mixing and mastering is what engineers should be aiming for. Then each process is contributing with its own important magic. But when the magic is gone in recording and mixing, it will certainly not exist in mastering either. :o

I know English isn't your first language, so you really need to keep it simple if you want people to understand what you're saying. The first two sentences are about the only two that make any sense. The rest is gibberish.

If you try to spout knowledge but it doesn't translate well, then you come off as a clueless know-it-all. Not saying you are, but that's how it looks.

Just trying to help.

Honestly, I started not too long ago with mastering and audio engineering, But I've researched tools that were used back in the day, and what was used for mastering in today's industry, I've seen people do a soundcheck in a studio and using easily $10,000 worth of equipment just for the kick drum alone, yet at the same period of time, I've seen people use a simple 14-channel mixer, 7 drum mics, and EQ it all just on that, and it sounded absolutely amazing... I'm talking professionally sounding.

Some people today will call it difficult for mastering simply because of all the equipment they use to make a final track sound amazing.

I tell people the only thing that matters about mastering is how it will sound finished, equipment doesn't matter. :)

I've seen people do a soundcheck in a studio and using easily $10,000 worth of equipment just for the kick drum alone, yet at the same period of time, I've seen people use a simple 14-channel mixer, 7 drum mics, and EQ it all just on that
And this has what to do with mastering...?

Back