Early Times

ecc83

This is a clip from a recording I did of this band in the '70s in a Northampton pub.

I know the recorder was a Sony TC-152SD but I am ****d if I can remember the microphones but might have been a crossed pair of Reslo RBs.

I know jack about mixing but would really like to have a go at 'sprucing' the tracks, maybe get the singer a bit more up front? He is even further down in other tracks.

Most of the 80 mins or so is instrumental. I would like to track down any members of the band if only to just say "Hi, we made 20 bloody 20 mate!"

Dave.

Attachments

• down and out.mp3
    12 MB · Views: 25
Nice to see you posting up a track, Dave. Enjoyed listening. It's mostly guitar and kick. Typical guitar player, sheesh. :rolleyes:

It sounds very mono, so if you did a cross-pair, it might have been too far away to get good separation. I am guessing it is only a stereo mix. With some EQ and multi-band, you might able to get more of what you want. I'm no expert at restoring old recordings, so I hope someone who knows more can chime in.

If you want. I can move this over to the Mastering section where the experts might see it and give better guidance.

Nice to see you posting up a track, Dave. Enjoyed listening. It's mostly guitar and kick. Typical guitar player, sheesh. :rolleyes:

It sounds very mono, so if you did a cross-pair, it might have been too far away to get good separation. I am guessing it is only a stereo mix. With some EQ and multi-band, you might able to get more of what you want. I'm no expert at restoring old recordings, so I hope someone who knows more can chime in.

If you want. I can move this over to the Mastering section where the experts might see it and give better guidance.

Yes, move it by all means. I have never posted before because I have had nothing TO post! I knew I had this tape somewhere from way back and always wanted to do something with it now that I have some decent software (Samplitude Pro X 3) but I could not find it. A mad clear up a couple of weeks ago brought it to light.

Hmm? Mono. Could be I might have the wrong mics and they were a couple of cheap Japanese dynamics. 'Nominally' cardioids but probably mostly omni!

Dave.

I don't know how to fix the track, but that one certainly nudged me into a real nice time warp here on Canada Day.

Thanks Dave!

Back