Confusion about formats and software to burn to cd

Chipster

I eventually want to record a professional created project, from pro studio, to mastering, and finally proper replication. However for now I'm wanting to sell cds at my shows that I've recorded here in my home studio. I've recorded my tracks in Sonar at 24bit 96K, and have used Nero to burn them to cd and so far they are playing in every cd player I've put them in. I'm assuming Nero is doing some conversion before burning? I've been reading and the more I read the more confused I become. Every where I look it says something different. One site will say I need to export my projects at 16bit 44.1k and use pow3 dithering, another says export at 24bit 96k with no dithering and use a different program to convert and dither down to 16bit 44.1. Could someone please clear up some of this confusion for me? What is the proper method of going about this, and is there software I should be using to burn to disc instead of what I'm using?

The dithering is optional...a personal taste thing.

16/44.1 is the correct format for audo CDs.

Nero may(?) be automaticlaly doing that for your, if you select "audio CD"...but you might be better off doing the SRC within your DAW app, and then just burn them as usual.

Sony makes a product I used to use called CD Architect. It's still available for $80 from lots of online retailers. Designed to create pro audio CD's. Does Red Book, does full PQ code editing, works hand in hand with Sound Forge (if you need to master or edit individual clips.). Sound Forge is an additional bunch of money, though.

Well I have a copy of Sound Forge. Version 10 I believe. Haven't used it much. I'll check in to the other. Thanks for the replies.

I eventually want to record a professional created project, from pro studio, to mastering, and finally proper replication. However for now I'm wanting to sell cds at my shows that I've recorded here in my home studio. I've recorded my tracks in Sonar at 24bit 96K, and have used Nero to burn them to cd and so far they are playing in every cd player I've put them in. I'm assuming Nero is doing some conversion before burning? I've been reading and the more I read the more confused I become. Every where I look it says something different. One site will say I need to export my projects at 16bit 44.1k and use pow3 dithering, another says export at 24bit 96k with no dithering and use a different program to convert and dither down to 16bit 44.1. Could someone please clear up some of this confusion for me? What is the proper method of going about this, and is there software I should be using to burn to disc instead of what I'm using?

I create in Sonar, then convert the mastered file from 24 to 16bit in Soundforge. The default WAV profile in Soundforge dithers for you, no need for the extra step(s).

I then create an Audio CD project in Nero, add CD Text and make sure the actual file names I'm using are correct.

How to add/update CD-Text on Audio CD

Once you do all this, you'll need to get the CD tracks into Gracenote and CDDB so when someone puts the CD into a computer it pulls the album and track info from these online databases, otherwise computers only display 'track 1', 'track 2', etc. I use an old program called CDex for CDDB uploads, and QMP for Gracenote. I just had to do all this recently which is why it's fresh in my mind.

Once you do all this, you'll need to get the CD tracks into Gracenote and CDDB so when someone puts the CD into a computer it pulls the album and track info from these online databases.
I've seen quite a few ppl confuse the cd text which will show on some stereo's and car players with the cd database text. .. but, I've found it's better to upload to cddb with one of the disc that you get back from the dupe or replicators rather than the one offs. Also, sending one of the disc to Allmusic so they can get it in their system is a good idea.
Product Submissions | Adding to Database | AllMusic

Dithering down to a lower bit resolution should be a standard procedure, it can be done as you render CD versions of your mixes or in a separate application from the high res files. It can be advantageous to have the tracks at high res in a mastering type application such as Wavelab (there are many other good ones). This way volume adjustment, final tweaks and fade calculations will remain mathematically more accurate before final dither (usually via a plugin) and disc creation. A lot depends on workflow and where you are limiting (if at all) your files.

SafeandSound Mastering
Audio mastering vid by Barry Gardner

Hi and good morning. Thanks for that. I just purchased Wavelab last week. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet though. I'm totally blind, so I'll need to see if the program is even accessible via a screen reader before even trying to use and learn it.

Back