Compression in master mode?

Wack

Hey guys, Im recording my acoustic demo and I'm trying to get the guitar tracks louder without getting in the DAW and amplifying them. In master mode is it a good Idea to use compression? How would I go about doing so?

Hey guys, Im recording my acoustic demo and I'm trying to get the guitar tracks louder without getting in the DAW and amplifying them. In master mode is it a good Idea to use compression? How would I go about doing so?

what's "master mode"?

when you finish mixing a song to your best abilities..then bounce it down to a stereo wave file...open up a new project in your daw with that file and use tools like compression and limiting to increase its loudness...be careful not to overdo it or you'll crush the living dynamics right out of it...its not really mastering, its just finishing of your mix

WTH is "master mode...?"

Otherwise, it's very likely that you'd be bringing up the volume of the recorded tracks in the DAW (much less damaging than tracking them too hot) anyway, but I'm still just not understanding the whole point here for some reason...

By master mode I ment, on my tascam it says like 'In master mode' and, Has a begin master button. I amplify the tracks all at once after mastering it on my portastudio.

Chances are a comp in the porta studio will not sound that good and probably should be avoided. Beware of any presets...

A/B between with and without compression and see if it's improving the sound (needed in the first place). It's very easy to over do anything and everything at the mastering stage (mode).

Back