Bringing out instrumental and lowering vocals.. post production

charleyruckus

Hey, i'm an aspiring engineer and dropping a free lp in a couple days.. I'm using sony acid pro 7, and Soundforge for post prod. Thing is the project files for one of my tracks thats going on the cd got lost when my comptuer crashed a few months back (i know i should have had it backed up, but i learned that lesson and now back everythign up periodically). The problem is the one track from months back (in which the instrumental isnt even available) is still on my comp, but just the final mixdown from the time. The vocals on it are way too hot, and i'm wondering if theres any way i can make it somewhat acceptable using mastering plugins.. Maybe eq? i've been messing around with it alot but i'm at the point where i'd likke an outside opinion. I would redo it if i could stlil get the instrumental but its not around anymore. Thanks in advance

Try a stereo widening effect, or if you can afford it, Wave's Centre plug-in where you can turn up the sides and turn down the centre (But leave the extreme hi and lo's.

Stereo widening may work if the instrumental isn't also centered. If the vocal isn't way too hot you could try a multi-band compressor just using the one or two bands covering the vocal range. But to be honest you are most likely going to be out of luck.

Back