Bettermaker Mastering limiter thoughts.

Way too high end/finesse' for me.
But I'm fascinated with this stuff so I'll follow along for some of the real mastering folks we have around here.

If I was going to put up some cash for another outboard comp -which I don't need/couldn't justify as I'm in the DAW and the only time I'd compress outboard is in tracking.. It would be this-
The House of Kush
Now that's an interesting bit rig. :>)

The Bettermaker might make sense if you were actually building a pro-level, commercial Mastering Suite with a bunch of other, very high-end mastering grade gear, plus the room...but on its own, it's kinda pricy, though there's a ton of non-"mastering" analog gear that's in that same price range, so $3k for quality analog gear is not crazy expensive.

I think the first question would be...what type of scenario is he going to be using it in, that he thinks he wants/needs one?

If I was going to put up some cash for another outboard comp -which I don't need/couldn't justify as I'm in the DAW and the only time I'd compress outboard is in tracking.. It would be this-
The House of Kush
Now that's an interesting bit rig. :>)

I've considered the Tweaker, it's an interesting comp, and because I have 4 other Kush pieces in my rack, which I love...a couple of their Electra EQs, a Clariphonic EQ and a Clariphonic MS.
They make some really good gear and plugs (I have most of their plugs).

Another really good, yet not so known comp choice would be the Overstayer stuff. I'm not sure which exact models they offer now, but I have three of their earlier models, and if I'm going to put a comp across my console stereo bus, it's always the Overstayer.

I am so not going anywhere near buying gear like this or attempting to do professional mastering myself. I would be full of shit if I said my room/monitoring/ear was capable of that.

Gateway Mastering has done a couple of songs for a guy that records here. That is $250 per song. Have another guy I have used that is $65 a song and is quite close in the final result. There is 'cred' in having a mastering facility that has Grammies in their mastering... Looks good on Youtube video tags...

In the real world, I just do what I do and leave it to an experienced outside ear to finalize a product.

Plus, then I don't have to be responsible for a flawed DDP file with misspelling of a song name or track break... lol!

Back