Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Sounding Shellac and Vinyl

Thanks

Best Sounding Shellac and Vinyl

Sign in to disable this ad

You know, honestly, there ARE some people who still like the old analog and acoustic systems. Record companies are screaming over music being pirated in the digital domain.

I just thought it would be kinda neat to see a resurgeance in vinyl to warrant a new wave of old school listening preferance.
    DIY
    Make your own vinyls!
    yada yada

Bask in the luxury of wind-up phonographs and shellac scribin' glory.

Thanks
    I grew up on vinyl myself, and I have to ask; what's the point? Do you really want to go back to the days of worn styli that need replacing, records that get pop and clicks in them just by looking at them the wrong way, having to spend extra for Zerostats, Discwasher and brushes just to keep them clean, needles that bounce around if you dance a little too hard in front of the turntable, having to spend couple of minutes of trial and error just to cue up the right songs on the album or find the right verse or solo, and taking up a hundred square feet of wall space just to store your music collection? And what about when you want to take your music into the car?

If you want that "sound", you can do it with CDs. The idea that you need to go backwards to vinyl to get the right sound is baloney.

G.
    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Glen J. Stephan,
    SouthSIDE Multimedia Productions[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkGreen]RECORDING RESOURCES AND INFO SITE:[/COLOR]
    [URL="www.independentrecording.net"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL][/B][/SIZE]

Thanks
    It's not like music recordings weren't pirated before mp3 and internet. People used to copy LPs onto cassette. Personally, vinyl is my format of choice, even if they are higher maintenance. Yeah, you have to keep it clean, but at least you can't accidentally erase it with a magnet. I make CD copies of my favourite records (and sometimes tapes) to listen to while I drive. I also rip these same CDs to LAME mp3, because I love the way vinyl sounds. It has a certain mojo.
    Villain S. Deeds, Esq.

Rökkenrol MüSick
    http://villain-s-deeds.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthSIDE Glen View Post
    I grew up on vinyl myself, and I have to ask; what's the point? Do you really want to go back to the days of worn styli that need replacing, records that get pop and clicks in them just by looking at them the wrong way, having to spend extra for Zerostats, Discwasher and brushes just to keep them clean, needles that bounce around if you dance a little too hard in front of the turntable, having to spend couple of minutes of trial and error just to cue up the right songs on the album or find the right verse or solo, and taking up a hundred square feet of wall space just to store your music collection? And what about when you want to take your music into the car?

If you want that "sound", you can do it with CDs. The idea that you need to go backwards to vinyl to get the right sound is baloney.

G.

"I grew up on vinyl myself, and I have to ask; what's the point?"

Alright, so did I but let me ask you these questions:

Do you like acoustic guitar or digital guitar? (notice I left out electric)
    Do you like tube or solid state equipment?
    Do you want a vintage U47 or a TLM 103?

Inasmuch as recording studio and audio sound equipment professionals and manufacturers strive to better their product, there are people who simply enjoy variety.

I wasn't saying do away with old tech. I am simply advocating the resurgeance of it for people to enjoy it if they so choose. There is a certain
    novelty and nostalgia associated with acoustic and analog playback sound systems that audiophiles value over a cd. Incidentally, the new thing is mp3 players now. bye bye cd/dvds? Hello flash drives?

I'm sorry but "what's the point" simply doesn't cut the mustard.
    I certainly hope you don't have a single vacuum tube in your studio
    nor any of your all time favorite albums, radio programs and film were
    ever produced using such antiquated technology.
    Glen, with your simple and careless "what's the point?" tone, that's what you sound like. Someone who simply doesn't care and likely in wrong business.
    I can tell you an absolute fact from someone who's hearing impaired and has worn both analog and digital aids. Digital hearing aids SUCK!
    ( and I am not one to use that word often)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Villain S Deeds View Post
    People used to copy LPs onto cassette.
    True, but you couldn't distribute that cassette to 6 billion people on the planet just by clicking a mouse. You couldn't even distribute it to two people all that easily. And the copy was an inferior copy instead of an identical one. There's no comparison between the two. It's like comparing genocide to swatting a fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Villain S Deeds View Post
    Personally, vinyl is my format of choice, even if they are higher maintenance. Yeah, you have to keep it clean, but at least you can't accidentally erase it with a magnet.
    Not like CDs, right?

G.

Thanks
    I don't agree with the too-negative repsonses to Southside ..... he has valid points.

Having said that ..... I prefer vinyl and there in fact IS a vinyl resurgence. Has been for a while now. Anything new that comes out, I buy on vinyl. It's usually available and sounds better IMO.
    I can burn a CD of my vinyl records and I hear a difference in very tiny things like reverb tails and such. Analog captures the timbre of instruments better compared to 16bit/44.1 redbook CD's .

However .... as soon as you move up to 24bit/92 and higher sampling rates ..... the analog advantage dissappears as far as I'm concerned.
    If you know the secret codes you can get by the mastering boss on level 8.

Thanks
    Vinyl will never die, there will always be records. Whether there'll always be something to play them on is, however, another matter altogether.
    Maybe Rush's 2112 wasn't so far fetched, after all !

Alot of my vinyl records I put onto CD anyway, then I sold the records and funded my excursion into VSTis. That way, I got the best of both worlds {except for those ones on the infamous 'Blackburn batch'}.

To be absolutely honest, the only thing I miss about records is cover art. There are quite simply many stunning works of art that came out between 1956 and 1990 on LP covers.

Thanks
    I don't mean to sound hard on Glen.
    Every time I turn around I hear some nostalgia buff say one thing or another, someone else is going to come along and thoughtless knock it down.
    I am NOT denying that digital has come a long way, and that there are some good recordings these days. That's not my point, my point was, why not be thoughtful of those who really do like the old stuff at the same time.

I think it would be pretty neat to make a recording and hear myself on vinyl or even some compatible material used for the old wind-up phonographs.
    Those things are really cool and they are truly acoustic instruments.

I'm sorry, but I too, happen to like the best of both worlds.
    Now watch this... suppose an artist wanted to record a vocal or instrumental track that was then transcribed then played back on a tuneable wind-up acoustic phonograph that yielded some flattering sound that could not be duplicated digitally or via any other means and then recorded into the computer again but this time there is an acoustic quality that would baffle the audience.
    Again, I am really thinking about those old Edison and Victrola phonographs.
    They are to an acoustic guitar what their succeeding electronic counterparts are to the electric guitar.
    That's all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob View Post
    I don't agree with the too-negative repsonses to Southside ..... he has valid points.

Having said that ..... I prefer vinyl and there in fact IS a vinyl resurgence. Has been for a while now. Anything new that comes out, I buy on vinyl. It's usually available and sounds better IMO.
    I can burn a CD of my vinyl records and I hear a difference in very tiny things like reverb tails and such. Analog captures the timbre of instruments better compared to 16bit/44.1 redbook CD's .

However .... as soon as you move up to 24bit/92 and higher sampling rates ..... the analog advantage dissappears as far as I'm concerned.
    My point is that probably 80% of what you're hearing as a difference has almost nothing to do with the playback medium and everything to do with the production technique and production value differences that the humans involved in making those things impose upon the recordings.

If they actually tried to make their CDs the same way, you'd probably be real surprised at just how little of an "advantage" the vinyl itself actually imparts.

And for the rest, it's entirely unfair to paint my post as being so negative. First, as you'll notice, I was born in 1959, and therefore spent the entire first half of my life with vinyl. I in fact still have over 300 albums and a turntable that I play them on. I'm just as nostalgic as the next guy. But I'm also realistic, and don't miss vinyl at all because it is an inferior format sonically and a pain in the ass to use to boot. That's not being negative, that's being honest. And it was asking a question; "What's the point?" And I gave the reasons why I saw no point in devolving back to vinyl.

And so far, the only answers that have been provided are "It would be neat" and "I made good points but was just being negative."

And BTW, if that *is* being negative, than how is supporting them not being negative to CDs. Chirst, I'm not complaining about Lt. Bob or anyone else being "negative" about digital. The point is one's got to prefer one or the other (one cannot prefer two things over each other). Does anyone have any realistic reasons other than nostalgia?

G.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthSIDE Glen View Post
    My point is that probably 80% of what you're hearing as a difference has almost nothing to do with the playback medium and everything to do with the production technique and production value differences that the humans involved in making those things impose upon the recordings.

If they actually tried to make their CDs the same way, you'd probably be real surprised at just how little of an "advantage" the vinyl itself actually imparts.

And for the rest, it's entirely unfair to paint my post as being so negative. First, as you'll notice, I was born in 1959, and therefore spent the entire first half of my life with vinyl. I in fact still have over 300 albums and a turntable that I play them on. I'm just as nostalgic as the next guy. But I'm also realistic, and don't miss vinyl at all because it is an inferior format sonically and a pain in the ass to use to boot. That's not being negative, that's being honest. And it was asking a question; "What's the point?" And I gave the reasons why I saw no point in devolving back to vinyl.

And so far, the only answers that have been provided are "It would be neat" and "I made good points but was just being negative."

And BTW, if that *is* being negative, than how is supporting them not being negative to CDs. Chirst, I'm not complaining about Lt. Bob or anyone else being "negative" about digital. The point is one's got to prefer one or the other (one cannot prefer two things over each other). Does anyone have any realistic reasons other than nostalgia?

G.
    Glen, I am not suggesting we devolve back to vinyl, but am only promoting it as an "optional" alternative medium for those who enjoy that medium. I'm not an idiot. please don't imply thus.
    What I said about digital hearing aids comes from my experience with it.

hiccup
    If someone were so inclined to cut their own vinyls, this looked interesting to me.
    http://www.vinylrecorder.com/order.html

Of course it's not a Neumann or other but then it doesn't have the sticker price also.

But I am really thinking the real old school acoustic recording as a means of enhancing or complimenting modern techniques in the way of tone.
    I think it can be a useful tool.

You may disagree and that's perfectly fine by me.

Thread Information