Best Sounding Shellac and Vinyl

That's what I meant. On a 12 inch square, you could be partially sighted and get a good view. On a CD cover, not so much.
The copious sleeve notes are just as voluminous when need be, though.

Like the little rocket ship with the BÖC logo on the front sleeve for Cultosaurus Erectus. I couldn't find it on the CD cover even though I knew exactly where it was.

Twinhit,
read "The Recording Angel".
It's an excellent discussion of what performance, recording and the ever more blurred difference between them was. I use was as it was written pre MP3 &, more importantly in terms of interaction, pre social networking on the internet.

Appreciate the recommendation. I am sorry I don't follow the second half of your response. As near as I can tell, and I am guessing here.... you had read that book prior to the internet and mp3. If I am wrong, please clarify if possible.

That's what I meant. On a 12 inch square, you could be partially sighted and get a good view. On a CD cover, not so much.
The copious sleeve notes are just as voluminous when need be, though.

I agree, however, a 100 year old magnifying glass works wonders.
Sorry, don't mean to sound like a smartass. I try not to. really!

:spank:

yeah me ..... I don't agree that it's the production and not the medium. I've read numerous articles about reasons vinyl could sound superior and I prefer a vinyl record to a CD I myself have made of it. I hear a difference and prefer the vinyl. I use Masterlinks to burn my CD's and at 16/24 there is a loss of 'atmosphere' that's quite clear to me. When I go to 24/96 the difference disappears.
I also don't agree that it's an inferior media. If you have good playback gear it's an awesome medium. And I'm not talking about some plastic Technics direct drive POS. I'm talking VPI ...... Clearaudio . that kind of shit, on that gear it's superior to CD.

CD's are crap ...... they're 25-30 year old 'puter technology.
What other 30 year old computer tech do you use?

None because it's crap.

CD's are also the very first digital audio tech. What other product do you use the very first model that came out like say , a Model T?

None because that first model is crap.

The 16/44.1 has been shown in quite a few studies to be insufficient but that was what they could do back then plus they didn't know a lot about it yet ..... aliasing , brick wall filters ..... low sampling rates ...... all that stuff is a factor.

Personally, I know what my ears can hear and that's what I go by.
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything ..... it's so totally unimportant to me what anyone else thinks or listens to.
But I hear the differences I hear .... if you don't hear them, you're not listening close enough AFAIC but ultimately I don't care ..... my ears are as trained as anyones, I'm gonna go with my ears always ..... I'm not particularly nostalgic.

Specifically:

I also don't agree that it's an inferior media. If you have good playback gear it's an awesome medium. And I'm not talking about some plastic Technics direct drive POS. I'm talking VPI ...... Clearaudio . that kind of shit, on that gear it's superior to CD.

I happen to have an SL-1200MK2 and while it's not a $15,000 table, I think it serves it's purpose extremely well before you move up into the hardcore audiophile.

IF I am going to spend some big bucks on a table, I figure I would design my own and it would be a monstrosity of a table. The platter alone, made of precision machined granite might weigh over 100 lbs. The spindle would be over 1" thick and it would be suspended in a two-axis gimbal inside a microphone-like shockmount which sits on a minimum 4" thick plate of granite. It won't be a Direct drive either. The only thing about Direct Drive, to my way of thinking are the microvibrations that can transfer through the spindle, platter, mat, record to the needle which tells the sound reproduction system everything.

It might cost $15,000 to make, but I am sure I could get $30,000 for it. ;)

In the meantime, I'd tinker with my 1200.

Anyway, does the SL1200MK2 fall in your POS trash-heap?

All I know is that if I compare the best-sounding pre-loudness war early 90's CDs I own to the same thing on vinyl, the vinyl sounds better. And not in a "it adds distortion that I like" way either. I like vinyl because it DOESN'T add whatever it is that digital does add.

In other words, you won't find me digitizing my record collection onto CDR. The act of doing that destroys what I like about the analog sound.

I can't explain any of that. I just know that is how it is.

Back