Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Bargain" monitors

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by grimtraveller View Post
    I know that Dave. That's why I added the caveats
    to what I said. Massive took the debate outside of mastering, you agreed with what he said. In all the time I've been on HR, I've been conscious that because we appeal to all types in all situations, there is never going to be a one size fits all solution to very much and the proof of the pudding is often in the eating. Just as I'd never tell a new guitarist that they should learn every chord and some theory before attempting to write songs, I'd try to meet people where they are at.
    Truth be told, the mastering section rarely carries queries from people that actually want to be masterers, much less the optimum gear to have and so a lot of the conversations here can get conflated with general recording and mixing.
    Well! All I can say is, just because others pollute certain sections that is no reason to blame me!

Ok, fairnuff but I am still going to stick to my guns and say " Newb newb, wannabe mastering newb, whatever, unless you have a REASONABLY decent way to hear your creations you are doome to failure"

To get all engineering on yer ass, MOST systems get designed from the desired OUTPUT back!

Dave.

Thanks
    I'll stick my .02 cents in here....

If you are just concerned with mastering, then put your money in the monitoring system, and whatever plugins and processing you find necessary. You're not on the recording end here. I've not heard the APS Klasiks, but I would spend at least as much time checking out monitors as I did when I was stereo hunting in 1980. Speakers first and then move backwards to the cartridge.

If you are planning to do the whole process from playing your guitar and singing to posting a final product on Soundcloud, you better have at least decent front end gear. No amount of mixing/fiddling/plugins is going to fix a crappy starting point. Its just lipstick on a pig. I'll mix in my stereo systems if I have to.

If nothing else, if you have a good recording, you can ALWAYS go back later when you can afford those nice $1000 monitors in a great room and remix.

If you've got money to burn, then buy all means get the best at each step.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TalismanRich For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    I'll stick my .02 cents in here....

If you are just concerned with mastering, then put your money in the monitoring system, and whatever plugins and processing you find necessary. You're not on the recording end here. I've not heard the APS Klasiks, but I would spend at least as much time checking out monitors as I did when I was stereo hunting in 1980. Speakers first and then move backwards to the cartridge.

If you are planning to do the whole process from playing your guitar and singing to posting a final product on Soundcloud, you better have at least decent front end gear. No amount of mixing/fiddling/plugins is going to fix a crappy starting point. Its just lipstick on a pig. I'll mix in my stereo systems if I have to.

If nothing else, if you have a good recording, you can ALWAYS go back later when you can afford those nice $1000 monitors in a great room and remix.

If you've got money to burn, then buy all means get the best at each step.
    Yes BUT Rich You have a very decent hi fi rig (it seems?) The tyros I am talking about probably do not (and wouldn't have a fekkin clue how to feed it from an AI anyway!)

"Decent front end gear" What? The UMC204HD I had sounds EXACTLY the same as my Ni KA6 and the A&H mixer into a 2496 sounds the same as both of them out of my Tannoys. Microphone? Matter of taste largely. I would always suggest an LDC for vocals and a 57 for cabs but no real argument either way.

Electronics has virtually reached the limit of physical limits for noise and distortion and is staggeringly cheap. QUALITY loudspeakers never will be.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    unless you have a REASONABLY decent way to hear your creations you are doomed to failure"
    Only a twat would disagree with that.
    I am not a twat !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Master View Post
    Monitoring (and the space, of course) are non-negotiable. Better monitoring makes everything better every single time. It is *the link* to every single decision you make along the entire process.
    I get confused on this, though it makes logical sense, the rooms I see of the Beatle sessions control room pictures look like a small crowded area with those large fred flinstone looking Altecs,,,,then as I understand the process they would take that mix and run the reels upstairs to their mastering room, which used a better room with the same speakers....

would that room/s sounded better than the picture presents it?

Obviously they had success in mixing and mastering, but why does it look in the pictures the speakers and room seem less than impressive?

And that Eilish and Brother mix engineer said he didnt do hardly anything to their mixes and they were done in that bedroom with Yamaha H7? or something...cheap...for the 5 grammy project. Not my type music but it sounded very commercial. ..as good as McCartneys new releases in top end studios. Though I dont have a clue what speakers or mix/master rooms they used specifically.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails klasik-png   rooms-n-speakers-png  
    Last edited by CoolCat; 3 Days Ago at 05:52.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Good Gravy CC! You are talking about POP sound production well over FIFTY years ago. The Altcs and the Tannoys of the day WERE the best they could get especially in terms of SPL capability. Don't forget, the Beatles used AC30s they were and still are ;king loud amplifiers and they would have wanted the replays to be close to the original SPL.

But there were few people, avery few who were very dissatisfied with the then very coloured sound of monitors. Loud for sure but not really an accurate reproduction of say a piano. One great pioneer was Peter Walker of quad fame who laoured hard to produce the Electrostatic Loud Speaker. No, not loud but a pair could top 90dB and gave a rendition of instruments and voices of ann accuracy never heard before a transient response to die for and pin sharp stereo imaging. It took the industry a very long time to come up with a direct radiator MC speaker that could even start to compete with the ELS. Spendor were very close and the various BBC derivitives.

Bottom line. The mixes for Peppers might have been done on Altecs but in the classical side of recording QC checks were made on Quads!

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    I get confused on this, though it makes logical sense, the rooms I see of the Beatle sessions control room pictures look like a small crowded area with those large fred flinstone looking Altecs,,,,then as I understand the process they would take that mix and run the reels upstairs to their mastering room, which used a better room with the same speakers....

would that room/s sounded better than the picture presents it?

Obviously they had success in mixing and mastering, but why does it look in the pictures the speakers and room seem less than impressive?

And that Eilish and Brother mix engineer said he didnt do hardly anything to their mixes and they were done in that bedroom with Yamaha H7? or something...cheap...for the 5 grammy project. Not my type music but it sounded very commercial. ..as good as McCartneys new releases in top end studios. Though I dont have a clue what speakers or mix/master rooms they used specifically.
    Things were much different in the Beatles days!

From what I understand the Eilish songs were mixed in the bedroom, but mastered by a true mastering engineer.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Yes BUT Rich You have a very decent hi fi rig (it seems?) Dave.
    I don't know, its got a bunch of old British and Canadian stuff that I got years ago! I guess those IMFs do ok. and the old Rega still goes around in circles 40 years later! Bryston does make a nice power amp. Ah, the glory days of hi-fi reproduction.

I noticed that Falcon Acoustics in Oxford still makes the classic LS 3/5a. I remember when that was supposed to THE monitor for a lot of people , along with the JBL 4310.

Thread Information