Audio issues on YouTube mp4 upload

LoveMusic1980

Hi people. I'm trying to upload mp4 file on my YouTube channel, but every time a have issues (something like audio distortion) but only when I playback video on my smartphone (ie when it is on mono playback). When I put my headphones and play in stereo, everything is ok. Also, I can describe to you my workflow... I use Cubase and all instrument tracks are vst which I do not bounce as wave files but doing mix and mastering with instrument tracks. I keep everything in one project (mix + mastering), so I put some plugins on master track and also Ozone 8 with Maximizer. Trying to set loudness about - 13 Lufs and also check aac codec imact on my track. My cubase project is 96khz, 24 bit but I export it as wave file with 48khz, 24 bit. After that, I import audio in Premiere Pro (together with my After Effects video animation) and export everything as mp4 file (h.264 format), 1080p, HD, with maximum render quality. After I upload mp4 on YouTube, I have audio problems as I have already described abowe. Not know what to do... Any idea? Anybody? Thanks in advance! Bests ?

Hi people. I'm trying to upload mp4 file on my YouTube channel, but every time a have issues (something like audio distortion) but only when I playback video on my smartphone (ie when it is on mono playback). When I put my headphones and play in stereo, everything is ok. Also, I can describe to you my workflow... I use Cubase and all instrument tracks are vst which I do not bounce as wave files but doing mix and mastering with instrument tracks. I keep everything in one project (mix + mastering), so I put some plugins on master track and also Ozone 8 with Maximizer. Trying to set loudness about - 13 Lufs and also check aac codec imact on my track. My cubase project is 96khz, 24 bit but I export it as wave file with 48khz, 24 bit. After that, I import audio in Premiere Pro (together with my After Effects video animation) and export everything as mp4 file (h.264 format), 1080p, HD, with maximum render quality. After I upload mp4 on YouTube, I have audio problems as I have already described abowe. Not know what to do... Any idea? Anybody? Thanks in advance! Bests ��

get a new telephone ?
playback in stereo on your phone not in mono ? not all stereo techniques are mono compatible.

When you are mixing, check the mix in mono. When you are mastering, check the master in mono before finalizing it. If you want the audio top play nice in mono, it needs to be at least mixed with mono in mind.

CJ

Hey people, I took my mix and put on every channel stereo imager and analyser and reduced all track to sit within phase. I also check stereo on master track. This was not cause of my issue... Any other ideas? Also, I'm not sure if my smartphone is stereo or mono (Huawei Mate 20 Lite) but the point is that sound on my smartphone is bad, not for all audio, but just for my mix on youtube. Thanks

Not being able to analyze the audio, we can only guess. I think with 5 posts you could post a link - I'd suggest the original audio (48kHz WAV).

The usual suspects might be some low frequency content that is frizzing your puny phone speaker that's not showing up in the integrated LUFS, or some inter-sample clipping, though, again, just guessing. For YT, I generally shoot for -14dBFS with no peaks over -0.5, or even -1.0. I do usually bounce to 16-bit as well.

I would put a good lufs meter as the very Last plug in on your master track , and check it close for "overs" that are sneaking thru. I had the same problem with 1 song that seemed to get destroyed when streaming. Later ... mark

Anyone use this website? I've been playing around with it. To fall within the guidelines set by this website they seem to want pretty low non-compressed Masters.

Loudness Penalty: Analyzer
I saw that somewhere in a video or blog I think.

It seems to be looking at LUFS and for some sites, the peak level as well. I finish my fooling around by getting pretty close to -14.0dB LUFS, but I'm a little looser with peaks, just somewhere between -1.0 and -0.5. Everything has some compression, and I don't think the site cares about that, i.e., dynamic range. This is one song of a friend and I practicing an Eric Taylor song in "finished" form (well, an MP3 version from my iTunes). Seems pretty close to what they are looking for.

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 6.28.16 AM.png

Orban Loudness Meter output of same file:

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 6.37.11 AM.png

I guess I meant LUFS because as soon as I hit my mix with any master limiting, the LUFS goes to around -10, which draws a penalty.
If you are going to submit mixes to streaming sites, that will be too high from everything I've read and seen. You can make a CD like that, and maybe it's still appropriate for some genres, but if you can, a separate master would probably be a good idea for iTunes, et al.

I don't know what those disk replicator companies do that also include submissions to streaming sites, i.e., do they 1) accept separate masters from you, 2) just submit your CD master and let the site have its way with your tracks, 3) normalize your tracks for the sites, 4) ???

Back