anyone used ozone izotope before?

C

carl pants

so, i've heard from a couple of local guys that record metal that they highly recommend ozone izotope to master and widen the sound out. anyone here ever used that? and if so, did you like it? i'm thinking of buying it but like anything, i like to do a little research before i commit to something.

Ozone is a truly excellent software package--but, to get the best out of it, you have to invest in the "sit down before you read the price" expensive advanced version. I'm less sure about the basic version--I can achieve most of the things in that using the native effects I get with Adobe Audition.

Props for doing research man!

The issue here is not really the software, it is knowing how to use it. Yes, it is a great tool to use, but it involves a whole lot more than just using the presets to get results you want.

Without knowing what you are looking for, what you are expecting from Ozone, and what your experience is in regards to mixing/mastering, then it is hard to give a recommendation. The fact that you stated 'widen the sound out', seems to me, that you are not sure of what you are looking to achieve.

I'm definitely in the "best to avoid it unless you know precisely what you're doing with it" category.

"Widen" indeed... Ozone uses a set of bandpassed Haas filters that aren't necessarily limited to certain frequencies - even in their "presets" - That means that it allows you to - even suggests in some cases by putting it in presets, putting a Haas effect on low end content.

Now if they called their presets "This is something really stupid that you won't ever want to do in 30 years of working in audio but we wanted to show you how out of touch we can be" that's fine. But instead, the preset is called "Rock Master" or something like that.

Ozone, IMO, is the easiest and most efficient way to take a perfectly reasonable mix and wreck it completely to the point of being unlistenable by most people's standards. That said - If you avoid the presets and actually have a decent monitoring system, a good ear and a reasonable understanding on "the basics" (goofy things like not applying Haas filters to low end content and why maul-the-band processing is wholly different that broadband), then the tool is only as dangerous as the person using it.

Geez, I hate to sounds like an Izotope basher -- I don't mean to -- I'm on their "Pro Users" list somewhere actually. But that particular plug... There's a decent module or two on it, but on the whole, I'd just leave it alone.

ok, well thanks for the input guys. i'm new to all this, only have about 700 hours logged in reaper at the moment. i definitely get a tiny bit better everyday but i'm pretty sure i would fall into the "dangerous" category at this point. hahahah i have a couple of friends that use it and they get good results with it, but they've both been recording for years and years. so, after reading all this, i'll just save my money for now and try to hone my skills instead of hoping some magical/exspensive plugin is gonna do that for me. hahah :D

instead of hoping some magical/exspensive plugin is gonna do that for me.
That's something to always keep in mind. The most "magical plug-in" is what's in front of your mic. This includes the player,the instrument, the performance, the room, the mic placement, etc....After that, things get less important the further into the chain you go. Not to say that anything becomes un-important. But the better the sounds are that are captured, the less "magic" you'll need when it comes to mixing it all together.

There is much more time to be spent in recording and mixing, than there is in mastering. However, IMO, it takes a skilled, second ear, to do a mastering properly, and truly give a well mixed project the treatment it deserves. I have mixed and mastered many projects, but I can honestly say, that it really is best to have a trusted mastering pro, take over if you can afford him.

That being said, there are many tools that you can use, to do the job yourself. I end up mastering my clients projects 90% of the time, due to budget constraints of the band. The problem there, lies in the fact that it is tough to actually listen objectively to a mix you have heard over and over while mixing.

Once, I accidentally lost a cello track, because I just heard it in my head, from hearing the song so many times. It was muted. We tend to lose perspective, when involved so deeply in a project. At the very least, take a week or two after mixing, before you attempt a self mastering.

Just my opinion, take it for that...

nah, you guys are right man. i am however loving the new plugins i downloaded from variety of sounds. i really like the density compressor alot better than the native one in reaper. also been playing with a few of the other ones like the nasty DLA and the ferric TDS.... its like saturation and a compressor/limiter (if i'm not mistaken) all in one.

Carl if I could give a little advice, go back and look at all the "elements" that make up the Ozone. EQ/Comp/Imaging etc. Look up how they work and just like your doing now with the Density learn and master each component "independently", wont take you long proly a few minutes you do that I promise you, you will have the ability and skills to create you own Ozone. I tell people all the time heck yeah I got Ozone 20,000

Pro Tools Gain
Mastering EQ - Waves Q10, PSP Mastering EQ, SPL Mastering EQ
Multiband Compressor - Waves LinMB/C4/C6
Mid/Side Processing - Brainwork Digital V2
Mastering Comp - Elysia Mastering Comp, Wave V-Comp, Waves Fairchild
Waves - S1 Imaging
Softtube - Decapitator Analog Warm
...and whats better bout my ozone is that it has interchangeable components at anytime.

Yes, it takes much skill to master, but you do eventually need some mastering tools once you've obtained these skills! And Ozone is a great mastering tool overall (price & number of mastering plugins) for someone on a budget. There are better individual plugins and hardware for mastering, but like I said, overall Ozone is a value for someone on a budget.

Back