Any need for a Alesis Masterlink these days?

CoolCat

I was always wanting a Alesis Masterlink, back in the day.
Now I see they are $125 instead of $2500...obsolete many years ago.

Anyone think there is something worthwhile in buying one ?

I have one. That's about all I have to say about it. I've used it to record live to 2-track (it's fairly bullet-proof in that regard) but otherwise, it's a paperweight I guess. Haven't touched it in some time.

Welcome to my world of expensive purchases that are now boat anchors. So much for my retirement plan.

Alan.

Heh... I pulled a few strings and burned some favors getting the very first Tascam DV-RA1000 in the area. I figured for sure it was going to be the industry-changer.

I think I've had 3 projects come in that format. And 2 of them were terrible sounding things. I'm sure they were the best possible fidelity of terrible - but still terrible.

I still use it for CD and as a CD transport though...

My most expensive paperweight is my Akai S1000HD hardware sampler...by the time I added a "whopping" 8MB of RAM and a couple of I/O cards...that baby set me back close to $6k in '94-'95...but I just HAD to have one, and because I was suddenly obsessed with the MIDI/synth/sequencing stuff :facepalm: I was sure it was going to be a major piece of gear. :rolleyes:

OK..I got a bunch of use out of it initially, but the problem was that in a very short time (like maybe 1-2 years), everything started to shift to computers, and the rate at which HDs and RAM were increasing...my S1000 quickly become not so important. Oh, I used it occasionally over the years when I was looking for some sample that happened to be in the Akai library (I had/have a decent one)...but I got out of the MIDI/synth/sequencing craze and went back to more live/miked recording, plus the move to a DAW...and the old S1000 became an expensive rack panel. It still sits there, looking at me with its blank LCD screen which has faded over the years some.
It's not worth selling...and it still works...but I've haven't even thought of using it in at least 10 years now. I've got a gazillion samples in the DAW, along with a few different instruments.
I think I need to find some new piece that costs $6k...then I'll feel good about replacing the S1000 with it. :p

How about my Atari 1040STE, Unitor box, and the C-lab creator software. Do you know I still use it (well not the same Atari, I built this one from the 20 or so broken ones in the spare parts room), Just wrote drum tracks for an album project on it. I am really quick composing on this software, but I really should get into the 21st century LOL.

But that whole package cost a lot of Money in 1989.

Alan.

How about my Atari 1040STE, Unitor box, and the C-lab creator software. Do you know I still use it (well not the same Atari, I built this one from the 20 or so broken ones in the spare parts room), Just wrote drum tracks for an album project on it. I am really quick composing on this software, but I really should get into the 21st century LOL.

But that whole package cost a lot of Money in 1989.

Alan.

Yeah...besides the Akai S1000...I've got 3 Atari computers that make great doorstops. :D.
Two 1040ST (one with a whopping 4MB RAM), and one Mega, but the 1040 with the RAM upgrade was my main unit for as long as I used the setup...also a couple of monitors and assorted peripherals, including a dead 30 MB HD.
It was still working the last time I used it....which has to be at least 10-15 years ago. I kept it setup in the studio for a good 5 years after I stopped using it, because I too was comfortable on it getting a composition worked out, or back when I use to sequence drums on it...
...but then I just moved over to the MIDI capabilities of my DAW, and now I also use Superior Drummer for the drum tracks when needed, both which made the Atari useless. I ran the original Cubase sequencer on the Atari.
Thought about selling it all on eBay a few times, as I see some people still want them...they're sitting in a pile of excess gear right now...along with my old Tascam M3500. :)

Back