After you're done mastering ...

bluesfordan

I've got 18 archived tracks I want to master and dub onto a tape. I understand that loading each tune into its own audio track in a project is probably the best way to master them to consistent levels. But how do I achieve sequential playback of the mastered project i.e. to dub a tape that I can play in my car. The only way I know of now would have all 18 tracks play at once which would basically be a mongolian clusterboink.:D

You can either put all 18 songs sequentially on one single stereo track and export a huge file - but you then have no markers to easily jump around,

OR

Use a CD burning program - it will set up track markers, etc - just like a professionally made CD. There are many programs you can use to do this. Wavelab is one of my favorites (it can also match levels between tracks automatically using the meta normalize feature)... there are many programs that burn CDs though... I think even Windows Media Player if I remember right...

A "playlist" in iTunes or Windows Media Player can sequentially play any songs you put into it, and probably any other kind of media player app. Is that what you mean?

hey, I didn't think of a CD burning program probably because I'm focused on a cassette but you are right. I'll look around. I haven't used anything else since I got iTunes. Actually, I suppose I could export them to iTunes as a separate album and dub them from there. I just don't want to have basically a duplicate tying up space, which granted isn't that huge a problem anymore in this day and age of the massively huge HD and backup drives.

thanks

---------- Update ----------

A "playlist" in iTunes or Windows Media Player can sequentially play any songs you put into it, and probably any other kind of media player app. Is that what you mean?

we were typing at the same time. Jinx :D

hey, I didn't think of a CD burning program probably because I'm focused on a cassette but you are right. I'll look around. I haven't used anything else since I got iTunes. Actually, I suppose I could export them to iTunes as a separate album and dub them from there. ...
Just import them to iTunes, but you'll want to at least temporarily reset your "rip" settings so you don't compress the files, assuming you've got WAV or AIFF (non-lossy) files now. Set your preferences to one of those non-lossy formats (depending on your host OS), and import. Then all the new "unknown" stuff in the Recently Added will be your album. Set the album name, song titles, artist, etc. and you can just play it through your interface (line outs to the tape deck record-in). Browse the file system (Explorer or Finder) and confirm they were imported in the correct format.

Bonus is you can create a playlist in iTunes with those files and burn a CD with CD-Text to give to friends that will play in their [newer] cars.

Sequencing is part of mastering. You can have the songs on different tracks but placed on the timeline so the play sequentially, with the right amount of space between each.

Get your levels, eq, sequence etc. right and export to a finished stereo file. Import that stereo file to a new project then play it from the computer and record it on a cassette deck.

You've got a tape player (cassette I assume) in your car? Just how old is it? :rolleyes:

LOL, oops forgot a little backstory. I used to have a CD player but it died. The tape deck still works. Can't find a 6 disc CD player to replace the dead one. Only mp3 and single disc machines. I'd love to have iTunes in my car but no aftermarket units available. Man, if I could have my entire music library (now 7.8 days worth) in my car with Genius shuffle, I'd never go home again and just live in my car. I use lossless formats (particularly AppleLossLess) exclusively.

quick question
Get your levels, eq, sequence etc. right and export to a finished stereo file. Import that stereo file to a new project then play it from the computer and record it on a cassette deck.

is that "export TO a finished stereo file" or "export AS a finished stereo file"?

LOL, oops forgot a little backstory. I used to have a CD player but it died. The tape deck still works. Can't find a 6 disc CD player to replace the dead one. Only mp3 and single disc machines. I'd love to have iTunes in my car but no aftermarket units available. Man, if I could have my entire music library (now 7.8 days worth) in my car with Genius shuffle, I'd never go home again and just live in my car. I use lossless formats (particularly AppleLossLess) exclusively.

Just get one of these:
Amazon.com: INSTEN 3.5mm Universal Car Audio Cassette Adapter for Smartphones, 3-Feet Cord (Black): Car Electronics

Back