Advice on a mountain.

Jaymes Minor

Hey guys!
I'm new to any sort of home studio forum so I'd like to say I feel very welcomed and humbled to be considered apart of the fam! I've been producing since November 2013 and I had a great question for you. You see, when I've been mixing, I keep most of my channels besides my drums (kick,snare) at a modest -12 to -19 db. After I have everything sounding the way it should, I bounce out the whole project as a .wav and open a new session in Logic 9 *which I use* and throw a limiter and SEND that to a BUS channel with a compressor (been using the adp2500 or ssl)..I haven't had too many issues with squashing or over compressing..and my mixes to me sound decent. Is this a complete unorthodox way of mastering ? I am not too sure how I came up with this technique but I am hoping I copied someone on a youtube tutorial! anyways, if you can please check out some of my stuff i've listed below and let me know your input i'd appreciate it!

Thanks for the response ahead of time and oh happy 4th!

God Bless.

Teddy,

thanks for that reassurance! I was even thinking about going back to my previous mixes and raising the db's. basically redoing the projects that already have been done. you've saved me a lot of time, THANK YOU!
God Bless!

Where is the 'stuff listed below'?

Yeah, that is typical for self mastering. I am curious to hear what you have done. :)

Is this a complete unorthodox way of mastering?
Just throwing in sideways for semantic's sake -- Without a doubt, there's nothing particularly "right or wrong" about your approach as long as what you're doing serves the mix.

The "semantic's sake" part -- And it's not your fault, as it's becoming increasingly more and more misunderstood on the 'net to some extent --

"Pumping up the volume" is a part of the mastering process (usually the least important in an almost "afterthought" manner). More or less the least significant part of the process that a lot of people find to be either the most important part, or in many cases, the definition of the word itself.

And sure, you might be completely aware of that already - But just in case...

Back