about mastering...

hollywoodending

Will mastering engineers master anything? or does it have to be in a certain format, etc.?

For example, if I came up to one with a cd with 12 wav files on it (already mixed), they would be able to master them? thanks

hollywoodending said:
Will mastering engineers master anything? or does it have to be in a certain format, etc.?

For example, if I came up to one with a cd with 12 wav files on it (already mixed), they would be able to master them? thanks
Most people do send CD's with wav files on them. Sometimes 1/2 inch tape, but mostly wav files.

As far as I know the only golden rule is, leave them room to do their job, some dynamic headroom etc.. the less they have to "fix" the better. CD-R's are a very common format, as is wav, so you will have no trouble with that.

I'm a newbie to this thread and I confess my ignorance, but I gotta ask...Exactly what does a Mastering Engineer do??

chazba

chazba said:
I'm a newbie to this thread and I confess my ignorance, but I gotta ask...Exactly what does a Mastering Engineer do??

chazba

Just as a mix engineer makes all of the tracks "fit" together as a cohesive whole for a song , the mastering engineer makes all of the songs fit together as a whole for the entire CD. It includes various forms of processing, editing, and most importantly critical listening.

thediscoking said:
Talk to the mastering guy ahead of time.

I send my guy 24 bit WAVs because he has professional dither.

-Jacob

Ooo, professional dither. I have Behringer Tube Dither PRO; does that count?

Farview said:
They are, but if you drop them, it will be broken into (more) bits.

Ah, gotcha!

Here's a sample image of an old stone tablet audio production device. I've heard that the bird had to be replaced on a frequent basis.

Attachments

• flintstones.jpg
    flintstones.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 69
masteringhouse said:
Here's a sample image of an old stone tablet audio production device. I've heard that the bird had to be replaced on a frequent basis.
Hahahaha...I can imagine the mess when you tried plugging his tail into the preamp.

I must say, I've heard of moving coil and moving magnet, but never moving beak. :confused:

G.

Reggie said:
Ooo, professional dither. I have Behringer Tube Dither PRO; does that count?

You betcha! Anything with the word "Pro" on it passes the test automatically, no matter what it sounds like!

Come to think of it, I think I'll sell all my gear and only go for things that say "Pro" on them :D

thediscoking said:
You betcha! Anything with the word "Pro" on it passes the test automatically, no matter what it sounds like!

Come to think of it, I think I'll sell all my gear and only go for things that say "Pro" on them :D

Pro Tools I would reckon is in the list.

Back