YouTube changing its monetization rules

mjbphotos

Just got an email, as of Feb 20, youtube will not pay out monetization on a channel unless you've got 4000 hours of viewing per year and at least 1000 subscribers. I hope that means they remove the pop-up ads from my videos! My total youtube payout last year (through CDBaby) was $0.03.

So I guess that means more people will either stop posting useless, stupid videos if they can't benefit...or they will post videos with an even higher level of uselessness and stupidity to get more views and mindless subscribers. :D

I guess from a data/accounting management standpoint it makes sense since everyone (well, not me) probably has checked the box to monetize and sending out those $.10 payments probably is not adding to their bottom line. Still, those are pretty high bars, so limit it to pretty good or inane/tantalizing/salacious material. Certainly no place for local or small market businesses, though I don't know how many of those actually try to monetize, either. I wonder if it's going to drive some YouTube channels to posting on FB or somewhere else.

Realistically, I don't expect this to cause the top viewed videos to improve in quality.

Thanks Keith.

Never used it at all . . . no commentary meant in this fact, just personal choice on means of socializing. I often find it awkward to convey intent behind commenting electronically, never meaning to offend.

You have opened my eyes, however, to welcoming of technology for its broader possibilities than originated.

Best of health, JeffF.

Back