.WMA Streaming (Standard)...Linux or Windows...???

mark4man

MoonMix Studios
greetings again...

[1st off...I used to host my music (A&R) website on a dedicated windows server...'cause I thought it was necessary for streaming .wma files. when I discovered it wasn't...I went w/ a standard hosting package, w/ GoDaddy...now saving BIG bucks.]

BUT...

I moved my recording studio's site to it's own domain. [it used to be a series of pages on my A&R site.]

I now need to create a '301 Redirect' in my old site's directory to redirect surfers (who have my old url) to the new site...but more importantly...to retain my ranking w/ the major search engines...!!!

it cannot be done on a Windows server (which I'm on, w/ GoDaddy)...not an .htm redirect anyway, which I need. [&...I don't think I really need windows features like php or asp...I code my site(s) in Dreamweaver as html pages.]

so...if I migrate my site(s) to a Linux server...

1) will standard .wma streaming continue to work...??? (i.e., a .wax file in the directory that points to the .wma).

2) which type of server is FASTER for this task...(if any)...Linux or Windows...???

thanks,

mark4man

1) will standard .wma streaming continue to work...??? (i.e., a .wax file in the directory that points to the .wma).

It should...as long as the end user is on a Windows computer and has Windows Media Player (or something that will play .wma files on a Linux box or a Mac).

mjr...

thanks.

I went ahead & migrated to Linux; & the 301 Redirect (standard .htaccess type) works great.

I've also decided to put up mp3's to go side-by-side w/ the wma's...although...in starting that process, I've noticed they do not sound as good as wma (from the identical source file...& both encoded at 192). I did the wma's from WaveLab & the mp3's from SONAR (ran out of the fraunhofer trial exports in WaveLab...& did Lame from SONAR. maybe I'll try Lame in Lab. fraunhofer's clearly superior, tho...maybe I'll just get off the cheap & buy the doggone mp3 plugin from Steinberg.

thanks again,

mf

Back