Why Selling on iTunes SUCKS!

I understand your argument , and I feel it's somewhat sound;

I remember from my sociology classes that the road to the holocust was paved in the begining by the propoganda de-humanizing the victims .........

so it stands to reason that the more you can present yourself as a mortal human being , the less easier it is for ( non-sociopathic) people to let you down .

That said , I can't imaging staking too much on the faith that I would be able to make much of a living by this " open guitar case" street-corner minstral approach which completley depends on people behaving in a emphathetic or logical way .

It looks as though for the forseeable future , only trust fund baby's or people who have a sponsor will really be able to devote any real undivided attention and time into deeply understanding and composing music.

Lot's of superficial , harried stuff available from hobbiest on garageband and myspace . That will be adequate for now I suppose.:eek:

Thanks again for you Ideas.

It's definitely a time of great change!

Business models tend to adjust, given enough time. I think there will be professional musicians for a long time!

Hey I like your site, some interesting articles up there

While I tend to agree that selling on itunes sucks, in the age where iPod whether stand alone or with a phone added in, is the number one selling mp3 (well not really mp3 but you know what I mean) player in the known universe by a margin of about 8 to 1 over the rest of the competition combined and the possibly anti trust ties that it gives to itunes, you really have to. Otherwise you are excluding a huge potential portion of your fanbase from being able to buy in the format for the device they want.

It also sucks thay after dumping all that blood sweat and tears into writing, rehearsing, tracking, mixing thinking about song order and which will fit before getting it mastered, that people won't just buy the bloody thing when it's done. Instead you have to put even more effort to beg, threaten, cajole to get it out there and then again to get people to drop $0.99 to buy a track :D

"I know what you mean" It gets worse when the Major record labels want to give a way top artist work for free, which hurts many smaller artist. I have been struggling to sell my work as well, and it seems no one wants to buy music anymore."

Ironically , a day after reading it I also read this article about the implosion of EMI called "Say Goodbye To EMI"
The first I heard of this was a couple of weeks ago. A student in my motorcycle class works for EMI here in Nashville, and she was pretty freaked out about it.

There's definitely a lot of change going on in the music business, and it's going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out over the next five years or so. A lot of us starving artist types are used to living on next to nothing and making relatively little money. It's going to be interesting to see what lengths the corporate types go to in attempts to preserve their lavish lifestyles, historically financed by taking in excess of 90% of "record" sales. I can't remember the last time I talked to a record company guy who was sleeping in his van, doing one-nighters across the country with a food budget of $30 for the rest of the week...

I never got my e-book.

Me neither, altho I guess I'm on your mailing list now.. Am I supposed to get it emailed to me? Can't you just post a link to your ebook on your site?

Edit:

never mind, got it!

Last edited:
Back