Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do you do with your music?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by toddfugere View Post
    Just curious what everyone does with their finished music? I work really hard on my recordings, I finish them, let a few people hear them and then that's really about it. When I was in my 20's I thought I was going to be a rock star and pushed really hard to promote myself. That never happened and I had to get a job. Now I'm older, I still love writing/recording, I just never really do anything with my songs when they are done. The other issue I have, is when I have tried to promote my music and get zero interest, I get discouraged. Or if I get negative criticism, then I get annoyed. Maybe I need therapy?

I've heard a lot about Distrokid. Anyone here ever have any luck with that?

Why did you make music in the first place.

If it was to make money then you have to keep promoting yourself and selling your work.
    If it is a hobby then make a few cds for friends to listen to. Good cheap xmas present also birthdays yada yada

Everybody wanted to be a megastar and get filthy rich
    but it is a very very long tailed phenomenon and most people had no clue what they needed to do
    and if they they still might never get that lucky break to launch them

you may or may not need therapy

if you cant take criticism then give up
    happens to artists writers musicians actors yada yada
    and us soccer referees too
    if you cant ignore the naysayers then take up gardening or something else

never heard of distrokid
    but there are lots of those out there that make a bundle with the salami technique
    again it is very very long tailed
    a few do well some do okay most dont cover their expenses

there are lots of those kinds of scams out there ready to take your money to get you exposure
    and they make theirs by selling subscriptions that your music helps provide content for
    but if you pay anything for distriubtion do not expect to get rich or famous or even break even

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mr average For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    if you cant ignore the naysayers then take up gardening or something else
    Have you been on the gardening forums lately? They are vicious bordering on violent. Plus they have all kinds of tools that can do all kinds of damage. Never tangle with anybody who wields a weed eater.

Thanks
    I'm not sure which is worse, an internet filled with haters or a Pinterest-based world where it appears that everyone is talented. You can dismiss the vile misfits who cast dispersions on your sound or your music. They're hiding behind screen names and are hidden in some cranny in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand, try dismissing an avalanche of talent. That's what kills me. And it's killing America. There is nothing worse than knowing that you are average or even above average. Insert emoji where little green ball is hitting itself over the head with a hammer.

Thanks
    CDBaby for me. One time fee per album/song.
    Primary reason is I don't produce enough music annually to justify a recurring annual cost.

Thanks
    Distrokid for 'official' band stuff and my personal stuff that I think is good enough, but mostly soundcloud and reverbnation for sure.

It's a hobby, as in part-time, for me now but in a few years I hope to get into producing, mixing and mastering full time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by agiledood View Post
    Distrokid for 'official' band stuff and my personal stuff that I think is good enough...
    I've been looking into similar services. I came across some info stating Apple Music has very specific mastering requirements. Does DistroKid provide that by chance, or is it up to the musician?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
    I've been looking into similar services. I came across some info stating Apple Music has very specific mastering requirements. Does DistroKid provide that by chance, or is it up to the musician?
    You can "master for iTunes" but you don't have to. I mastered in Logic Pro X and bounced the tracks with the highest quality WAV format Logic could do. It's live on all streaming services now and sounds good:

Clever Weapon on Spotify

Distrokid says they do a bit and sampling check when you upload files to make sure they're ok but each service (iTunes, Spotify, Youtube etc) will reduce/increase the volume based on their loudness standards. There's a good guide here: Mastering for Soundcloud, Spotify, iTunes and Youtube. | Mastering The Mix

Thanks
    delete
    Last edited by damianhk; 05-24-2019 at 06:11.

Thread Information