Web Music Yes or No?

Ms Vocals

Greetings, I have an online website I built to showcase my music as well as offer web and music services. It's a known fact that sometimes people will visit a website without browsing pages. I thought if I add one of my songs to the front page perhaps that may cause the visitor to stick around and browse a bit. I read a few articles that disagree with my theory. The articles pointed out that background music may annoy visitors and cause them to exit your website quickly. What are some of your views on websites playing background music on the front page. Thanks.

Last edited:
Auto-playing music on your home page? 100% no. That's a terrible idea, and browser designers are actively going to be fighting against you doing it (so your site will break)

Including a music player on the home page that the user can click on? 100% yes.

For me autoplay means autoleave. Most visitors are perfectly capable of clicking (or tapping) a play button. Autoplay disrespects them and their freedom to choose.

Make sure your page is mobile friendly.

I agree with the other fellas.
If it's a site I know I want to be on and have reason to stay, the first thing I'll do is find the stop button.
If I was just browsing casually, I'll leave.

Having an obvious, and convenient, player is good though.

I'm all for a player, but no autoplay. When I've come across them I click out.
Keep also in mind the practical side, say someone's at work in their pruvate cozy little cubicle. While they're supposed to be working, they browse onto your site. The sound is turned up, and not expecting it, your music (good or bad) comes blaring out of their speakers. Instant closing of your site, probably never to rerturn.
Don't do it.
:D

Back