We want to make a demo. Which of these tunes are good enough?

Delmont

I have a bunch of Leon Fullerton songs recorded. It's sloppy basement stuff, but I'm hoping some of the tracks are good enough to put into a CD.

Here they are: When the Wagon Rolls 'Round

They're selected from about 130 tunes posted on other pages of the website. I chose them mainly based on sound quality. But that doesn't mean they sound that good! So tell me:

Are there enough good-enough-for-demo tunes there to make a respectable demo? If yes, which would you definitely include? Which would you definitely NOT include?

Thanks!

Del

Last edited:
Idon't know, maybe you can get friends/fans to listen to them all to help you.

What's the purpose of the 'demo'? To get gigs? To sell at shows?
I just listened to a few bits. Sounds recorded acoustic live, maybe even 1 mic? When the vocals come in its hard to tell if the sound is the singer leaning in on the mic, or overtracked on, but its not a great sound to my ears.

Idon't know, maybe you can get friends/fans to listen to them all to help you.

What's the purpose of the 'demo'? To get gigs? To sell at shows?
I just listened to a few bits. Sounds recorded acoustic live, maybe even 1 mic? When the vocals come in its hard to tell if the sound is the singer leaning in on the mic, or overtracked on, but its not a great sound to my ears.
Thanks, that helps. It's starting to look I should just go back to the drawing board. Or put the money into a new instrument, instead.

Friends and family aren't really the most objective people to ask, and it's kind of unfair to put them in that position, anyhow. So I'm asking strangers, instead.

As I said, the CD's purpose is to sell a song or two for someone to record and perform. The voice and all the instruments are me multi-tracking and mixing in stereo.

You're right, I lean into the mic. This is a tiny house, and I don't want to estrange my wife by bellowing lyrics over and over for hours day after day. Again, I'm no singer!

I'm sort of confused. Its the songs you want to sell for other people to record? I'm not familiar with the genre - so without a melody I genuinely haven't a clue if the songs are good enough because I have nothing to judge it against. The chords and playing style sort of sounds like I think I've heard - but I just don't have experience of spoken leads, so I have to let others more comfy with the genre comment. It doesn't sound bad or anything but kind of country rap?

I'm sort of confused. Its the songs you want to sell for other people to record?
Yup. I'm not a singer or a pro musician. I just write lots of songs. I do love gigging, but again, I'm not a pro. Pubs and local festivals are about my level.
I'm not familiar with the genre -
I write mostly blues, country, folk, mid-tempo rock, and Americana, whatever that is.
so without a melody I genuinely haven't a clue if the songs are good enough because I have nothing to judge it against.
Then judge them against songs with melodies! (Maybe you just did.)
The chords and playing style sort of sounds like I think I've heard - but I just don't have experience of spoken leads,
Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Tracy Chapman, Mark Knopfler, James McMurtry, Greg Brown?
so I have to let others more comfy with the genre comment. It doesn't sound bad or anything
I don't hear THAT very often!
but kind of country rap?
Ow! Oh, well, why not? I can take out the ountry all it crap!

No connections, or I wouldn't be asking here!

I'd send CDs to folks.

Don't waste your time. Not because your songs aren't good, but because unsolicited CDs never get listened to. There are teams of writers cranking out songs daily for the big stars, the stars themselves write music, etc.

Don't waste your time. Not because your songs aren't good, but because unsolicited CDs never get listened to. There are teams of writers cranking out songs daily for the big stars, the stars themselves write music, etc.
Okay, I'll bite. What's NOT a waste of time? Flying to Austin and knocking on doors?

Okay, I'll bite. What's NOT a waste of time? Flying to Austin and knocking on doors?

You need a business plan (if you are serious about this).
1) Identify your 'targets' - the people you want to sell songs to.
2) Research the songs they currently use and where these come from.
3)... you'll have to work out the rest of the plan yourself.

I would start previous to #1 asking "what is your goal"?

Part time musician playing small gigs for a bit of cash to support your music habit? Making a living with music? Becoming a hit artist?

...I write mostly blues, country, folk, mid-tempo rock, and Americana, whatever that is.

Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Tracy Chapman, Mark Knopfler, James McMurtry, Greg Brown?..

Syle-wise, I'm getting more of a Zappa vibe. Kinda cool :cool: And I did pick up on a little Mark Knopfler in Cora, Cora.

I was in a dressing room with a well known recording artiste, prior to the show we were about to do. Someone came in with some post just arrived. A box of home made biscuits (cookies??), a couple of CDs, a USB stick, and some requests for the show - a birthday and a wedding anniversary. The show clearly had no unscripted moments to even try to do this stuff, with many sections a continuous segue into the next one - so these went straight into the bin without being read. The cookies were offered to everyone, who all shook their heads and ended up in the bin second, nobody wanting to eat food prepared by a stranger, and the CDs went in to the bin too - after reading the notes. Not even listened to. Oddly, the USB sticks went into his pocket - probably because they're always handy. If you write for big names then you need a contact to make sure they listen to it. He was in the wrong place - you don't waste your time on a tour doing one-nighters listening to random music.

Done.
Done.
Done.
Done. The rest of the plan is creating something listenable for them to listen to.

Good thoughts. Thanks!

LOL! Good response. :)

Who is that troll?...

How are things going Delmont?
Going well! I've bagged the demo idea for now. Folks have agreed (me included) that the vocals aren't strong enough to carry it. So maybe in '19 I'll work on the vocals some more. Spent the demo money on a new dobro instead. Yee-ha!

Meanwhile, been playing in a duo and trio that are both getting some paying gigs and with a trio and foursome with good intentions. (I sing better live.)

Nothing like a new instrument to inspire! :)

Great to hear you are doing well. Best of gigs to you!

Feel free to hit me up if you have any needs.

Or just post on this forum, many of us are here to help as well as the few trolls or jerks that make snide comments... We ignore and/or delete them.

Cheers!

Nothing like a new instrument to inspire! :)

Great to hear you are doing well. Best of gigs to you!

Feel free to hit me up if you have any needs.

Or just post on this forum, many of us are here to help as well as the few trolls or jerks that make snide comments... We ignore and/or delete them.

Cheers!
Yup, I've noticed that this is a well-run forum.

Thanks again!

Meanwhile, been playing in a duo and trio that are both getting some paying gigs and with a trio and foursome with good intentions. (I sing better live.)

Honestly, if your plan is to record demos and somehow get stars to listen to them and record your songs, going about it by getting out there with a band and gigging your own songs yourself is probably a much better way to go about it. If nothing else because you'll get a lot of good feedback on the material from the audience (even passively, noting what gets an audience response and what doesn't), you'll grow as a musician, you'll have a lot of fun performing, and you may even make some money here and there. And, if you guys get a little bit of a local following, at that point you might happen to make a connection or two who might be able to get one of your songs into the hands of someone who might want to record it.

It's still a crazy longshot though. That's an incredibly hard industry to crack into - if I were you, I'd just focus on getting your own band going and leave it at that.

Back