Views on Internet Marketing?/ Discussion on Internet Marketing

kidkage

Bored of Canada
So I just found out the "suggest to friends" button on facebook is no longer an option for pages. And, I got really bummed about it... I know, I know, it sounds stupid.
Any way here's a long story short to kind of explain things- No one to be in a band with found after two years of looking. Jan. 2010 I decided to drums, bass, guitar, vocalize, lyricalize myself, then find members to play live with, blah, blah, I think I've told the story on here before and I'm sure you all have more important things going on... ANYWAY
So I've spent the last year acquiring gear, learning to drum, writing, being a junior and senior in high school. The whole while planning to "launch" [my project] with some songs on myspace, and start a facebook fan page that ill suggest to friends who will suggest to friends and a domino thing happens and the world ejaculates for me. Without sounding to dramatic the button being removed crushed that plan of the suggest thing.
But then I got to thinking "So what? Just because [x amount of] people like the page doesnt mean [x amount of] will actually like the music." Tons of random bands on myspace that no one knows have millions of friends while respected legendary bands like (the) Melvins have around 50,000. you know?
Whether or not a lot of people like the page won't make my songs any better or worse.

For instance a few years ago I got an add on Myspace from a band that was probably spam adding. I accepted. didnt listen to the songs. I got to know the singer and started talking with him often. still didnt listen to the songs. eventually that band signed to Roadrunner and had to change their name to Taking Dawn, toured with KISS, put out a record that did well, mainstaged at download fest... I STILL HAVENT LISTENED TO ANY OF THEIR MATERIAL :o

It's basically got me questioning the entire point of internet marketing, and has brought back to the fact that there is absolutely no formula for success, because success is different in every ones eyes.
Yeah, ive got a habit of rambling on this site, but hey ;) where else can a guy clear his mind?
Ive got to go write a 4 page paper on John Milton.

BUT

Anyone have any logs they would like to throw on the fire?
Anything that is related at all to this post, opinions, stories, thoughts?

as always
//Thanks

P.S- If you've actually read this..:p.. i really do commend you

Since you know that homily, perhaps you know the one about "Putting the cart ahead of the horse".

The internet, for better or worse, is the de rigueur marketing tool these days, but you have to use it properly to get good results. Maybe later I'll give you some ideas for doing that.

But before you start marketing, you have to have a product. In this case your product is music, and you have to have it ready to go before you try to sell it.

I always get a laugh when I look at the bulletin board at Guitar Center. There are always a few "15 year old guitarist and drummer looking for bassist/singer/whatever for new death metal band. Must be able to sing/play (insert names of three obscure death metal bands)." I give them points for at least trying to start a band, but...

First, you need to define a "sound" that is uniquely yours. Then you need to write songs that are compatible with that "sound".

Then, you have to decide how you are going to present your music. Are you going to be a solo artist? Are you going to be the front man for a "virtual band", where you have an ever changing group of players, and where some of the stuff is just VI's in Pro Tools. Or do you want to have an actual band, with a fixed group of people. All of these approaches can work, but you have to work at it no matter which approach you choose.

Then you have to record the songs. Shoot for having 20 of your songs completely recorded, mixed, mastered, and ready to go. That will hopefully give you 12 songs for your first CD.

That's when you'll be ready to start marketing, although you will want to have a solid marketing plan before you start doing it.

And maybe I'll talk about that in another post...

i think you have to get out there...I hopefully can reach the stage where I can get some local radio play and one day Ill hopefully finance a couple of 12" releases and hand them to local DJs...other than that I dont really know what you can do as a solo producer to get your sound out

there again I might not lol

Thanks for the replies.

perhaps you know the one about "Putting the cart ahead of the horse".

before you start marketing, you have to have a product. In this case your product is music, and you have to have it ready to go before you try to sell it.

I always get a laugh when I look at the bulletin board at Guitar Center. There are always a few "15 year old guitarist and drummer looking for bassist/singer/whatever for new death metal band. Must be able to sing/play (insert names of three obscure death metal bands)." I give them points for at least trying to start a band, but...

First, you need to define a "sound" that is uniquely yours. Then you need to write songs that are compatible with that "sound".

Then, you have to decide how you are going to present your music. Are you going to be a solo artist? Are you going to be the front man for a "virtual band", where you have an ever changing group of players, and where some of the stuff is just VI's in Pro Tools. Or do you want to have an actual band, with a fixed group of people. All of these approaches can work, but you have to work at it no matter which approach you choose.

Then you have to record the songs. Shoot for having 20 of your songs completely recorded, mixed, mastered, and ready to go. That will hopefully give you 12 songs for your first CD.

That's when you'll be ready to start marketing, although you will want to have a solid marketing plan before you start doing it.

And maybe I'll talk about that in another post...

I definitely get ahead of myself, I guess because I think it's some sort of race against the clock, if that makes sense.
I know that I need, have, and want to write songs, and I have confidence that I can write and have a "sound" that will emerge. And I guess thats why I put the cart ahead of the horse, because I don't have the confidence in my marketing... I really just concentrated on playing and enjoying that on different levels and was content with not worrying about marketing and trying to play shows and "be heard". for me the escape from every worry, problem, bully coupled with the pure fun and sense of accomplishment I got from learning music I loved listening to was enough. but then I reached the point where I realized that I want to take this to the next step. really that i need to take this to the next step.

The guitar center thing is exactly why I just started doing it all myself. i mean, this guy wants to sound like muse, that guy wants to sound like rage against the machine, him over there? he wants yngwie type solos, and lamb of god riffs and vocals. and that's it. until the next record comes out and they decide that they're a big pearl jam fan and want to sound like pearl jam. no real collective enjoyment or goal, just personal agendas. which is fine for and fun with garage bands.
...oh and i live in a town with no music stores, and a population of about 30,000 in MS
:eek:

I spent about a year doing radio in Vicksburg, MS (probably around the time your parents were born...:)

There were quite a few bands around there, and quite a few places to play, but if there was a music store there I never found it. Needless to say this was long before GC came to Jackson.

But keep on plugging away, and just make sure you have a quality product before you try to sell it...

cool, there's a music store here in greenville called "the music store" but it's a repair shop. and since i read so much i can repair my own stuff. ive went there with a friend before. the owner is cool to talk to.

thanks for the input

In the Music Business like any other business it's all about 'who you know'.
In the end, the chances are you're not going to be the next big star, so don't worry about it.

i think you have to get out there...I hopefully can reach the stage where I can get some local radio play and one day Ill hopefully finance a couple of 12" releases and hand them to local DJs...other than that I dont really know what you can do as a solo producer to get your sound out

there again I might not lol

I've often been asked "if the music thing is so hard, why even bother?"
Well, "the music thing" isn't hard. that's the easiest part, and what i love the most. what's hard is what comes before and after "the music thing"- trying to scrape up cash for a mic stand, or new bass strings, or some overheads for the drums; asking youself "what now?"... the postpartum depression once you look back and see how fun it was creating and recording :p.
But in the end I do it because it's what I love to do. I love stressing over needing to stop that echo, or find that tone, and I love the feeling of finding that melody for that song in my head that makes up for whatever things that have bummed me out ever in my life.

I wish you the best man.

I've often been asked "if the music thing is so hard, why even bother?"
Well, "the music thing" isn't hard. that's the easiest part, and what i love the most. what's hard is what comes before and after "the music thing"- trying to scrape up cash for a mic stand, or new bass strings, or some overheads for the drums; asking youself "what now?"... the postpartum depression once you look back and see how fun it was creating and recording :p.
But in the end I do it because it's what I love to do. I love stressing over needing to stop that echo, or find that tone, and I love the feeling of finding that melody for that song in my head that makes up for whatever things that have bummed me out ever in my life.

I wish you the best man.

That's why I do it, for the sheer love of it, and there doesn't need to be any other reason.

Upon The Sea by StevenJackson on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Amen to that. I couldn't stop making music if even if I wanted to. It's like music is the reward for it's creation, it just feels good.

Online marketing is necessary if we want our product and services reaches to as many people as possible. Internet is the most powerful thing in today world. Its user have been increasing highly from year to year is regarded as the most powerful invention. If a business is hoping to customers its client all over the world or regions then it’s very important to take serious look on selling our products and services using website that is online marketing.

Make a cool video, play live shows.

no wonder you cant find any band members - your in the sticks!

Yes success is different in every one eyes. Please see the difference among social media marketing and internet marketing. social media is a part of whole internet marketing. other tools are email marketing, bulk sms marketing and it included seo plus ppc plus affiliate and so on. better to do R&D for your target market and then make a strategy by combining different internet marketing tools.

Get an education, get a degree, and keep music as a fun hobby that you can enjoy for a lifetime. You're never gonna make it as a rock star. Don't even try.

Get an education, get a degree, and keep music as a fun hobby that you can enjoy for a lifetime. You're never gonna make it as a rock star. Don't even try.

+1 I know so many people who are into music to be famous. Music shouldn't be a means to an end, it should be a hobby. Something you enjoy doing. My dad and uncle started playing music when they were in med school, now they're doctors in their 50s and they still do blues jams frequently. Growing up listening to them I started playing too. No ones gonna buy any of the music I ever make, but who cares. It's a fun hobby, the more I learn, the more I realize there is to learn.

I've noticed that the people I know that want to be rock stars dont really write anything im compelled to listen to or they don't write at all. But guess what? They've got a $3000 Gibson and a Marshall so clearly they rock :rolleyes:

I've noticed that the people I know that want to be rock stars dont really write anything im compelled to listen to or they don't write at all. But guess what? They've got a $3000 Gibson and a Marshall so clearly they rock :rolleyes:

Kick their ass and steal their stuff.

There't too many people and too many bands, IMO! It's impossible to listen to everything. I think I heard some statistic like 40,000 active Metal bands in the world right now...insane. So much great talent goes unappreciated all the time, marketing is a needed thing but not the final answer.

Back