Venue Directories? Finding Gigs?

azraelswings

Any advice on finding venues to promote one's band to? I'd like to tour around the northeast. I'm from Connecticut. I'd like very much to play in NY, ME, RI, MA, NJ and PA. However, I don't have the faintest clue where to begin looking for joints to play in.

Words to the wise?

This mag comes out every six months. I've seen it at Barnes and Noble, and had a copy a thousand years ago as one resource for finding clubs for an original band to play in. The nice thing is that it (used to, anyway) list the types of music typically played, and contact numbers, addresses, etc. Not every club is in there, but tons are.

Taking that with today's world and andyhix's suggestion, e-mailing an area band that plays similar music and asking about a particular venue could open a positive discussion.

http://www.musiciansguide.com/musicianmag/index.jsp

You could try www.craigslist.org Go to the cities listed on the right and go to the musician categories. Most of it is people trying to put bands together but some venues post as do bands about their upcoming shows. Maybe try networking with them in the areas you want to play. Good luck.

Go to MySpace.com and register your band there in the Artist section. From there (it's free), you can search shows by genre and zip code. Just plug in acoustic (if you're like me) and the zip and a ton of shows will show up. Not only can you contact these artists with shows to be their opener, it'll give you an insight as to what venues are hosting what styles of music.

Hope that helps. Any questions, be sure to ask.

Back