Tunecore and other marketeers

whymark

Hello to all and Happy Super Bowl Sunday!!...Has anybody used the likes or Tunecore.com and/or other publishing/distribution services for "getting it out there"?? and, if so, what were your results? I just dropped $15 to have 40 people "evaluate" a new composition of mine. I'm supposed to get a report on estimated marketability and advice on a few other parameters from non-interested fans..i.e those with no knowledge or bias towards or against me....although I compose/record/produce to satisfy a long running passion of mine, I also figure that if any of these compositions has real market value then I'd like to take advantage. Thoughts and comments solicited and

markgratefully accepted.

Tunecore - gives a more 'worldwide' distribution, but you have to pay annually to keep your album out there. With CD Baby, its' a 1-time fee and the distribution is almost the same

Paying money to have others 'evaluate' your music? Sucker bet. Why should you trust a bunch of strangers who may not have any knowledge of your genre or any real qualifications? You can get opinions from people who don't know you by using forums (here, songwriter forums, etc).

I started using Catapult for distribution (one time fee, no annual costs):

Catapult - Sell Your Music on iTunes, Apple Music, YouTube, Spotify, Google Play, AmazonMP3, Tidal, Rhapsody, eMusic, Shazam and More!

And Kunaki for budget CD production:

Kunaki -- CD/DVD manufacturing and publishing service

With Kunaki I buy 5 up front to pass out, offsetting the shipping cost. Only tip - make the cover art brighter than you see on your screen, their printing process tends to darken things. Otherwise, it's the same adequate quality you get from other online publishers like CD baby. If you want pressed CDs like you would buy in a store by a major label (cheaper on-demand publishers are burned CDs), that's going to cost you a lot because those companies require a minimum order/quantity.

CD Baby - 40 bucks for 10 song CD on iTunes etc etc etc

The one big downside of CD Baby is you have to do more work up-front to retain your publishing rights. If you don't specify otherwise, they will call themselves the publisher, which means 5% of your money gets delayed 6 months, and they skim off of it.

Without an existing fan base, what good would putting up a few tracks on iTunes be? How would anyone find it or even know to look for it? Even if 100 ppl hear it and like it, the odds of it catching fire to draw any attention are incredibly low. I think a better bet would be to demo your songs for groups/labels/individuals that possess an opportunity for larger distribution with the added perk of being a "worthwhile" or "reputable" source. Meaning, a small label or semi-successful artist/group that can "share" you tracks and spread them to similar minded fans. Having a track re-posted on Soundcloud by an account that has a million followers will probably draw more attention to your music that throwing it on iTunes for no one to hear it or even find it. Sending demos to songwriters or other inside ppl may work out better if they like your music. But hey, i'm in the same boat as you and working toward getting some tracks radio-ready, so what do i know???! just some discussion. good luck, and i'd like to hear your music too, i didn't see a link.

I hearya on paying to have others "evaluate" my stuff and have the exact same concerns that you mentioned but, I figured for $15, I'd give it a shot....two possible outcomes here 1) They lie through their teeth and try to squeeze me for more $$$$ or 2) they're honest to a fault and offer good criticism....we'll see

getting it out there

Actually I was thinking the same thing about iTues but, hadn't formulated a solution..now I don't have to as you have alreay done so...thanks for sharing!View attachment Precarious.mp3

this is a bit of a new direction for me and come to me after 2 yrs of creative nothingness....I checked SC's "most popular" and found them all to be very similar and not at all to my liking or taste...that being said, they are getting listened to and I'm not soooooo onward through the fog!!

Actually I was thinking the same thing about iTues but, hadn't formulated a solution..now I don't have to as you have alreay done so...thanks for sharing!

I get a few pennies each month from Catapult for occasional plays on streaming music sites. It may be worth that one time investment alone to get on those sites for the effortless exposure.

Back