Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TuneCore fan review (?) experience

Thanks

TuneCore fan review (?) experience

Sign in to disable this ad
    Good Day All, a quick recap of my experience.....I paid to have a piece reviewed by a group recruited by TuneCore.com for such purposes. The report comprised several parts including potential marketability (given as a % of who knows what), Overall track rating, Song Element Analysis (Vocals, Lyrics, Production, Instrumentation, Track and Commerciality) and a short review written by each reviewer; graded on a scale of 0 - 10. OK, I asked for it and wasn't disappointed in my poor reviews. In fact, agreed with a lot of them and gratefully accepted the criticisms. What surprised me was that in the Song Element Analysis; Lyrics and Vocals came in just under 30% (% of WHAT remains a mystery). The problem here is that there were NO lyrics or vocals!!..With the exception of some Boogie-Woogie pieces,.my projects are more cinematic/new age/alternative (whatever) and definitely NOT meant for dancing. I am NOT a writer of lyrics. While most of the reviewer-written reviews seemed sincere albeit non-flattering, at least two mentioned vocals and lyrics??!!! I sent TuneCore an email suggesting that either their Quality Assurance protocols needed work OR this whole fan review process is a scam. So far there's been no response. This is only FYI. Still looking for a trustworthy review system.

Y'all take care now,
    Mark
    Yamaha Disklavier Mark II XG/ UR44 interface / Win10 64bi/ Cubase 7/ Sybelius 7 First/'97 Strat/ Fndr Vibro-King amp/ Digi-Tech processor

2. The Following User Says Thank You to whymark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's probably bots "writing" canned reviews.

Thanks
    I tried a similar service, Crowd Review, on ReverNation. I'm pretty sure it was legit because people who used capitals and punctuation liked the song better than those who wrote in text-speak. I doubt the computer could match writing styles to my expectations so well, and some of the writing was so bad they had to be humans doing it.

Thanks
    I don't know why anyone would PAY to have their songs reviewed by a bunch of undetermined strangers. Plenty of strangers around who will review your stuff for free!
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    I don't know why anyone would PAY to have their songs reviewed by a bunch of undetermined strangers. Plenty of strangers around who will review your stuff for free!
    This is true, and like with anything else, you have to consider the source. What makes anyone qualified to review anything? If a peer says you're good or bad, so what? They're a nothing nobody just like you are. Get an opinion from someone that matters and/or understands where you're coming from.

Thanks
    Because your audience is a bunch of undetermined strangers. (Or one would hope because otherwise your audience is probably your mom or your girlfriend.) It's a way of getting a larger number of opinions. Making the whole thing anonymous lets the reviewers express themselves freely, which you don't get asking people in person. I found ReverbNation's Crowd Review quite helpful, mostly confirming most of my own suspicions about how our stuff would be received (audience will mostly be limited to boomers and Xers, with some interest among younger vinyl buying crowd).

If you're making music purely for fun then none of this matters. But if you're selling your recordings or trying to book good gigs you need to know beforehand who's going to like you and who won't so you can focus your efforts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    If you're making music purely for fun then none of this matters. But if you're selling your recordings or trying to book good gigs you need to know beforehand who's going to like you and who won't so you can focus your efforts.
    True, but how do you know those 'reviewers' are in your demographic, and not just bots - like in Whymark's OP, comments on lyrics/vocals for songs that don't have them?
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    True, but how do you know those 'reviewers' are in your demographic, and not just bots - like in Whymark's OP, comments on lyrics/vocals for songs that don't have them?
    Nobody's going to program a bot to match its writing peculiarities to my preconceptions. I expected the song to do poorly with millennials, and the least impressed reviewers for the most part didn't bother with capitalization, punctuation or spelling. The most favorable reviews were better written, or at least had errors that were common before US public education was thrown under the self esteem bus. In general the criticisms were pretty accurate, and most reviews mentioned things too specific to be programmed.

Thanks
    I should post a couple of the reviews so you can see what I mean.

Thanks
    Here are four reviews.

“This song starts with a great guitar riff and some good vocals from multiple singers. The womans voice is very good and has
    great lyrics, making this something I enjoy to listen to and is that slow alternative rock type of music I grew up on and
    appreciate.”

“I love the guitar in the beginning of this song. I love all the factors off this band they make me want to sing along with them.
    The girl singing has a nice and empowering sound. I actually adore it and she gives me chills. I love the beat change towards a
    minute in to the song.”

“this is a rock and roll song. the track is bad not something that i would recommend. the rhythm is off and the voices are
    merged but that 's just my opinion.not a very good song you cant really hear whats being said in the song. but not me or my
    friends bad track.”

“a rock song with an upbeat tune singing to the gods. a female singer.uses electric guitar and is slow and speeds up. the song
    is great and the lyrics could be redone to be better. so over all its pretty good. has good rhythm. and keeps on beat. happy
    song and draws attention and has great content. no swear words or bad language. the song has a nice tune to it. the song
    has ups and downs every so often leading it to a crazy finish. over all this song is pretty good a little bland. also this song is
    not quite my type of song.”

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:

Thread Information