TuneCore

My latest Musician's Friend catalog had an article on TuneCore. From the description I read it looks promising - small one-time fees, small yearly fee, and no per-sale profit bleed-off by a middleman.

I haven't checked out the site yet although I've been intending to do so.

it's a rip off. you have to pay per song to put each song up. like $20 per song.....

How did you get $20 per song :confused:

Looks like a five song album would be a grand total of $28.89 to have the album (all songs) in four different stores. They charge $.99 per song OR album for each store you want to be in, then a charge for all the songs @$.99 each, and a $19.98 yearly maintenance fee. Maybe you should read their info again?

I don't really see this as a complete rip off. They won't be dipping into any money you make on the songs you sell...

whoops, sorry, i got mixed up. i remember the $20 from somewhere. i still think it's not the best deal. It's ok i guess

well it seemed interesting since it helps you get hooked up with itunes & itunes' japan, uk & austrailia also. I was thinking of using Snocap -that service provided by Myspace-but it looks like their agreement allows them to have some rights to your music. I'm trying to get some music sold in a major way and its about time to make a decision. I'm surprised more folks arent up on game about tunecore.

What service do you use as your digital download seller?

walmart since i'm not interested in ipods. though the new Creative Zen can use itunes!! isn't that cool!!!????

YOU may not be interested in iPods, but people who may potentially find your music might be and might actually own one. Your logic doesn't make sense from a music marketing perspective.

As far as the Creative Zen, from what I read, it will play un-protected ACC files - wouldn't be much use for standard downloads from iTunes.
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=16999&nav=0

Isn't the idea generally to get the most exposure possible?

AND, while Tunecore might not be the best deal (at least in your opinion), it would certainly be worth looking into further - for anyone.

My 2 cents...

YOU may not be interested in iPods, but people who may potentially find your music might be and might actually own one. Your logic doesn't make sense from a music marketing perspective.

As far as the Creative Zen, from what I read, it will play un-protected ACC files - wouldn't be much use for standard downloads from iTunes.
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=16999&nav=0

Isn't the idea generally to get the most exposure possible?

AND, while Tunecore might not be the best deal (at least in your opinion), it would certainly be worth looking into further - for anyone.

My 2 cents...

YOU can't read. i said that i use WALMART DOWNLOADS to DOWNLOAD music. YOU CAN'T SELL MUSIC ON IT!!! and i never said i wouldn't sell my music on tunecore, i have thought about it, and i agree it's a good idea if you know you can sell a bunch. but if you only think you can sell a few songs, then there's no point.

YOU can't read. i said that i use WALMART DOWNLOADS to DOWNLOAD music. YOU CAN'T SELL MUSIC ON IT!!! and i never said i wouldn't sell my music on tunecore, i have thought about it, and i agree it's a good idea if you know you can sell a bunch. but if you only think you can sell a few songs, then there's no point.

Who asked where you download your music? :) Question was "What service do you use as your digital download seller?" Did I misread that? :p

Anyway, just razzing you a bit and clearing up misinformation about Tunecore.

Peace.

P.S. You were supposed to make the "stressed" words boldface! :D

Last edited:
well it seemed interesting since it helps you get hooked up with itunes & itunes' japan, uk & austrailia also. I was thinking of using Snocap -that service provided by Myspace-but it looks like their agreement allows them to have some rights to your music. I'm trying to get some music sold in a major way and its about time to make a decision. I'm surprised more folks arent up on game about tunecore.

What service do you use as your digital download seller?

Checked into Snocap a little - particularily the Artist Agreement: http://www.snocap.com/about/policies/registration_agreement-artist

At the top of the agreement, there are two main points:
Non-exclusive digital distribution and the stressing of not transferring ownership rights of any kind to Snocap. Seems to be no issue about rights, but if you had questions, I'd contact them before completing the agreement. It's the way I understand it, but I've not entered into an agreement with them. I know a couple artists who use them on MySpace and it seems to work OK for their needs.

HTH.

I plan on looking into Tunecore further and certainly would like to be included on iTunes.

Also, for the record, I don't purchase songs from Walmart. :D

I plan on looking into Tunecore further and certainly would like to be included on iTunes.

Someone was telling me that iTunes made is fairly easy to get your music on there, I guess they were wrong. Are there other services besides tunecore for this?

No problem. Now get outta here and get recording...lol. :D

haha thanks for the incouragement :cool: But I need to stick around here some more and learn how to record well, I put up a video in the hiphop section if you want to see how bad our recording are...

Back