the xx "I dare you" cover

Had a quick listen on my headphones. I'll say right away that her voice is excellent and her performance is very well done. I'm curious as to how you recorded her vocal track. It was a good job. As for your voice.......it's fine but your vocal is not as clear or dynamic as hers and feels as if it was recorded very differently. You need to bring your vocal up a bit. Tell us more about how you recorded and tracked this tune. What equipment did you use? How was the background music recorded? Was it a pre-recorded track of some sort?

Overall you did a nice job.

You need to bring your vocal up a bit.

thanks for listening!
i agree and she is a much better singer than i. Could you explain what you mean by 'bring your vocal up a bit' ? in volume, presence? I think i know what you mean, and I generally agree, lacking body and girth.
tracks were recorded using Ableton stock plugins for EQ, Compression, Reverb, and Native Instrument's Komplete Elements (the $20 one) for the percussive and string elements.
Also recorded clean guitar with a VOX AC4TV mic'd up.
no pre-recorded tracks other than stock samples from Ableton.

thanks for the feedback,
cheers.

Bring your vocal up in both volume and presence and........as you described.......try to do some eq or other effects to your vocal to add at least enough tone and feel to compliment her vocal. The two tracks do not sound even as if they were recorded in any similar fashion to me. Keep at it. You’ll know it when you get the right sound.

As for the instruments....etc......they’re all too bland and mechanical to my ears......and could use some processing........but that’s a matter of taste when all is said and done.

i agree w/ instruments sounding too bland and mechanical.
i experimented with a few things but one thing I would like to try next time is to add saturation.. I wasn't focused on that during this song but i will for the next projects.

Good stuff thank you!

Back