Write a review, get a review

wagonzilla

Hi,

We’re building a peer review website that provides bands/musicians with feedback on their work. The idea is that in exchange for writing a short review of a fellow artist’s work, you’re guaranteed a review of your own (you will not be reviewing the artist who is writing about you). Using this approach, we can provide press for everyone who is willing to contribute to the creative community. Hopefully it will be a better mechanism for smaller/new acts to create buzz; one that is not dependent on paying a publicist or cold emailing blogs. I'm not really sure what to expect, this is more of an experiment than a business idea.

We need artists to help us test this concept. If you’re interested, send us a link to the track you’d like reviewed and we’ll send you a track to write about. Submit your short review within a week or so, and we’ll link you to feedback on your music. We’re looking for honesty; you’ll have the option to submit your review anonymously, or sign it with a link to your music.

Please email heartsbleedradio@gmail.com to submit a work and receive an assignment (or if you have any questions).

Cheers!

Why the long delay for the spam? :)

Seriously though, I am curious why you would present this concept on this site. It does come across as spam-ish. That already exists here...

You are treading on thin ground here.

Last edited:
Who the fuck is going to read these reviews, besides the people doing the reviewing and getting reviewed?

A service for musicians by musicians gets no one anywhere because musicians don't buy each other's music.

Unless you have a plan to get the few general population people left that do actually buy music to read all of these reviews, and then buy music, it's pointless.

I know that this forum and many other do a similar thing, but the idea is that it's a random assignment that reads and presents itself more like a blog post, y'know, something you'd want to share in a Facebook feed.

I'm just looking for help on the concept, this isn't an up and running site, and it's not a for profit site, so I don't think it's against the rules to post here looking for help.

Very few blogs have native readership, I've been in the game myself. When "Joe's music blog" writes about a band, 90% of the readers are coming from that band's social network. The truth is that a lot of people pay publicists good money just to have articles written that they are turning around and sharing to their already friends/fans. Few if any new people are seeing them. My thinking is that it's beneficial to the author to have their name attached to the review, that way, they are exposed to the social media of the band that's sharing it. Does that make sense?

Email capture and sale program

Comon, guys.
You don't have to like his idea but we don't need to all conspiracy theory on him. Google already has your entire life stored on their servers, don't kid yourself.

@OP: The thing is that all blogs are essentially self indulgant and nobody actually cares about what is being written besides the person writing them and that the market is so god damn oversaturated with everything music that it doesn't even matter. I get your idea but I just don't think that anybody legitimately cares about random Joe x writing about random Bob x's band. I could take those two minutes it takes me to read the review to listen to the band's music instead and form my own opinion. Maybe Joe is a dick.

I know that this forum and many other do a similar thing, but the idea is that it's a random assignment that reads and presents itself more like a blog post, y'know, something you'd want to share in a Facebook feed.

I'm just looking for help on the concept, this isn't an up and running site, and it's not a for profit site, so I don't think it's against the rules to post here looking for help.

Very few blogs have native readership, I've been in the game myself. When "Joe's music blog" writes about a band, 90% of the readers are coming from that band's social network. The truth is that a lot of people pay publicists good money just to have articles written that they are turning around and sharing to their already friends/fans. Few if any new people are seeing them. My thinking is that it's beneficial to the author to have their name attached to the review, that way, they are exposed to the social media of the band that's sharing it. Does that make sense?

No, it is not against the rules as of yet. But I must ask why you feel this to be something you would pursue unless it was for some type of benefit for yourself?

This site is not about site hits and personal 'social networking'. Most members here are looking to learn how to better their skills at recording.

Yes this is the forum that was created to post such things like 'how do I get my stuff out to people', but not for advertising or procuring members to join another members business opportunity.

That is where the 'thin ground' is. The way you stated it is looking like you are trolling for perspective users without paying for advertisement.

Nothing bad yet, just hoping you understand why this is not going to be taken well here at HR.

I am not trying to be a dick. Just hoping you understand the rules and reasons this forum is here.

:)

I get your idea but I just don't think that anybody legitimately cares about random Joe x writing about random Bob x's band. I could take those two minutes it takes me to read the review to listen to the band's music instead and form my own opinion. Maybe Joe is a dick.

I think this is the key 'flaw'. If these were album reviews, *maybe* you would see a person or two read the review, but writing a review for a single song? I don't think I've ever read a review for a single song! :p

No, it is not against the rules as of yet. But I must ask why you feel this to be something you would pursue unless it was for some type of benefit for yourself?

This site is not about site hits and personal 'social networking'. Most members here are looking to learn how to better their skills at recording.

Yes this is the forum that was created to post such things like 'how do I get my stuff out to people', but not for advertising or procuring members to join another members business opportunity.

That is where the 'thin ground' is. The way you stated it is looking like you are trolling for perspective users without paying for advertisement.

Nothing bad yet, just hoping you understand why this is not going to be taken well here at HR.

I am not trying to be a dick. Just hoping you understand the rules and reasons this forum is here.

:)

AMEN brother, preach it!

AMEN brother, preach it!

LOL! I am not trying to state anything other than what the site is about.

Look at you for instance; you created a whole compilation of multiple interface specs on your own time, for only the benefit of others here. That 'is' what is good.

:D

Look at you for instance; you created a whole compilation of multiple interface specs on your own time, for only the benefit of others here. That 'is' what is good.

And I'll review THAT right here & now.

"Interface Comparison Chart GOOOOD!"

Now somebody review my review. K?

I've heard that this band called The Jongleurs make the best music ever... I'm happy to review one of their tunes for you.:thumbs up:

Yeah, need to update that sucker. Everybody's coming out with new schtick.

And I'll review THAT right here & now.

"Interface Comparison Chart GOOOOD!"

Now somebody review my review. K?

I saw a review of the Interface Comparison Chart the other day and was amazed at the intelligence and overall savvy or the reviewer! It was an outstanding, well thought out, brilliant piece of literature. Using extra "o"s in good...brilliant!

Again, I just want to see what happens. I totally understand the criticism, though I think some of you are being a little cynical. The main reasons I'm reaching out here is that I want to get musicians outside of my own social network involved. I don't want people knowing who is reviewing them, and I don't want them to have any reason to be less than 100% honest. This seemed like a good place to find people who wanted to try something new. Maybe I was wrong

I don't know that there's any way I can prove 100% that this isn't a commercial enterprise, but c'mon, would I really be here if I was looking for email addresses? Or if I thought you were going to write stuff that I could sell?

Look, I've run a blog and bands, and the system doesn't work unless you're paying cash for a publicist, or really lucky to be in the right place at the exact right time. On the flip side, review for a review forum posts are great for getting some new ears on your tunes, but they're not exactly the kind of content you want to put in your band's press kit. I'm trying to find a happy medium here, a place between two. I'm collecting tracks until Friday, email me if you'd like to participate. heartsbleedradio@gmail.com

Thanks!

I think some of you are being a little cynical.

For good reason.

If I had a dollar for every hot networking/exposure idea I've ever heard, I'd have a whole bunch of dollars. The whole communal musicians sticking together thing is an unrealistic pipe dream. Musicians are selfish assholes. That's just how it is.

I think some of you are being a little cynical.

Of course! Cynicism comes with good reason. Musicians and artists are amongst the most exploited group of souls ever!

All the way from the record labels, to the management, to the "pay to play" clubs, to the manufacturers of the gear we so love, everyone is exploiting our artistic desires for profit.

The "occupation" of musician has over the years come down to the point where EVERYONE is making money off of it except us. In what other occupation will someone spend thousands of dollars for the tools of their trade, only to never make a cent off of the investment?
It is to the point where the artist simply accepts that this is just an expensive hobby for self satisfaction.

As far as reviews by other artists.......Who cares?? They don't buy your music.

I applaud what you are trying to do in theory........But feel it will go nowhere. Maybe that's just the cynic in me talking.

Back