Making Lemonade

keith.rogers

Well, sort of. This is a video I made up from a band's practice session I recorded last month. They'd originally asked about creating a video, but the practice room was long and narrow so they'd set up with 2 guitars at one end, and keys/drummer at the other, and the colors were, let's call them garish. (It was a rented "band room" at a place that does mostly music lessons.)

Anyway, I set up a couple camcorders pointing in opposite directions but after watching it decided it wasn't going to work - I mean who wants to watch a song video where it basically flips back and forth between "these two guys, and now back to those two guys" etc., etc. But, while having to step away from another, even worse project (I have a pile of rotting lemons I can't even look at right now), I played around with split-screen using multicam-clips in Logic Pro. Tossed in a couple screen captures from phone videos they had with some practice excerpts. They actually liked it! Plus I learned how to do something...

YouTube

Lots more to learn about video - it makes me want to quit trying many days...

the split screen thing works for me.

nice practice session. I'm not sure if this was deliberate, but I can't really hear the keys.

the split screen thing works for me.

nice practice session. I'm not sure if this was deliberate, but I can't really hear the keys.
Partly deliberate, and partly lack of direction - I didn't have a good reference for what to do with the tracks, having never heard them live (or before the practice), and neglected to ask obvious questions like "do you have any influences you'd like me to listen to" or something like that. As someone remarked on the MP3 posting - they're more guitar driven, so I let it kind of lay back. It's more obvious in the 2 short bits of songs in the latter half, I think.

Thanks for the listen and comments!

I think the editing you have going on is good for a promo video, but you need some more sources. Live footage definitely. If you got more practice footage where they were performing more energetically and not looking at their notes, that would help.

The intro also suggests that it's going to be a slideshow and not video, so I'd revisit that.

I think the editing you have going on is good for a promo video, but you need some more sources. Live footage definitely. If you got more practice footage where they were performing more energetically and not looking at their notes, that would help.

The intro also suggests that it's going to be a slideshow and not video, so I'd revisit that.
Thanks. That last point is good.

If they come back with a live gig for me to record I'll incorporate that. Or if they simply throw money at me, I could probably fudge something with the phone videos (bad sound) and practice audio for short bits, but I'm hoping they get a decent place to record an actual performance.

Back