Just a home recording/video - Tom Waits [acoustic] Cover

keith.rogers

Fooling around with single mic recording of guitar+vocal (apply air quotes as needed). LDC just out of frame at arms length slightly in front of the guitar headstock.

My wife really hates what I did to the video, but I hate seeing my ancient face about as much, and I control the horizontal and the vertical ;) ... An equally (almost) old friend called it "neo-senior-goth" and I suppose it's better than "day of the dead" look I was thinking.

Forgot a word here because it's been *forever* since I went to an open mic, but I just went with the change.

Thoughts . .

1 Tom Waits = win. And you do a very credible version.

2 Single mike = win. But maybe mike could have been placed closer to your mouth.

3 Video= I agree with your wife. I would have liked to see a less contrasty approach

4 Ancient face = we all have them. Nobody cares, least of all Tom himself. Think of it as character.

Great cover. Enjoyed listening. Yeah your wife is right. You can keep it black n white and keep a slightly higher contrast than usual, but not overkill.

Hmm, what other words of her advice haven't you been heeding?? :D

Great cover. Enjoyed listening. Yeah your wife is right. You can keep it black n white and keep a slightly higher contrast than usual, but not overkill.

Hmm, what other words of her advice haven't you been heeding?? :D
haha. I generally am obedient but there are some times where the “do it first and ask forgiveness later” rule have been followed. Have survived 36+ years :)

Thoughts . .

1 Tom Waits = win. And you do a very credible version.

2 Single mike = win. But maybe mike could have been placed closer to your mouth.

3 Video= I agree with your wife. I would have liked to see a less contrasty approach

4 Ancient face = we all have them. Nobody cares, least of all Tom himself. Think of it as character.
I’m going to keep playing with the mic position. The guitar is surprisingly loud and my voice is not as strong as I imagine it once was. Plus I always have used 2 mics even when I’ve done experiments like this so could always balance a little even if the bleed made both mics almost usable as a single track recording. It really makes me appreciate those single mic ensemble videos!

Yeah, we all have the face we deserve is something I have to embrace ;)

Thanks for listening and commenting!

Back